This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

I have been on the podcast train for a bit now. I started off just listening here and there when I was tired of my music but overtime my love for them has grown and now I barely get 3 hours of Taylor Swift in per week. Podcasts have served as a sort of comfort to me and I always have one playing when I workout, clean, cook, or walk around campus. Despite my love for them, I haven’t listened to a large number because once I find one I like I binge the crap out of it. Here are 5 of those binge worthy podcasts.

1,) “Violating Community Guidelines” 

My favorite podcast I have heard thus far is definitely “Violating Community Guidelines.” Cousins, roommates, and co hosts, Brittany Broski (remember Kombucha girl?) and Sarah Schauer have incredible chemistry as they discuss strange internet phenomena. Some examples of episodes re “Furries”, “Craigslist Missed Connections”, and “Thirst Traps.” Each topic is thoroughly discussed and their researcher, Stanley, does a great job finding examples that set up the hosts for some really great conversations. They do branch off a bit but I think it makes the show even better. A particular tangent I appreciated was essentially a smash or pass for advertisement characters. During this time it was revealed that Sarah thinks the Happy Cow logo is hot and that they would beat up Mr. Peanut with a baseball bat with nails in it. It isn’t everyone’s sense of humor but I will be driving alone laughing out loud (but in a real way, not an “lol” way) listening to these guys. When new episodes come out I find myself extra excited to go to the gym and have some “me” time listening to my faves and getting a nice workout in. If you bulk at poop humor, I would skip this particular podcast. They have plenty of other jokes but Brittany’s IBS is a commonly visited topic. Personally, I find it entertaining and appreciate the realness that comes with them belching into their microphones and discussing stomach problems. I also appreciate that Sarah is a non-binary lesbian. Most podcasts I listen to are straight people and while I love them, it’s nice to hear that lesbian point of view once in a while. As I continue my podcast journey it will be hard for me to replace “Violating Community Guidelines” as my #1 pick. 

2.) “Brooke and Connor Make a Podcast”

I actually found this podcast while listening to “Violating Community Guidelines.” Brooke and Connor were guests on the “Internet Duos” episode and it prompted me to check out their podcast because I thought they seemed interesting. I had seen a lot of Brooke on TikTok where she went viral for reading her 6th grade journal. After blowing up she kept the ball rolling by moving to Los Angeles where she became best friends with the show’s other host, Connor. There isn’t a specific theme to the podcast and it is more conversational. They have a lot of guests that are also internet famous and a lot is revealed about the life of an online content creator. I think a big reason I find it so interesting is because it so sharply contrasts the life of a college student from Ohio (me.) They discuss “hot takes” and sometimes disagree and have a lighthearted debate. There are rumors they are involved on a deeper level than best friends and I admit, I’m here for that. However, as far as I know that is purely speculation. Connor is a bit of a party animal so he has some crazy stories. Brooke is more than a bit of a fangirl and is hilarious as she discusses the different tiers of being in love with a celebrity, often mentioning Matthew Gray Gubler and her gut wrenching crush on him. Bring those two personalities together and it makes for a very interesting podcast. 

3.) “Office Ladies”

Ah yes, the podcast that started it all. I had not given podcasts a chance until I heard about “Office Ladies.” Out of all the tv show rewatch podcasts I have listened to, Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey (the actresses who played Pam and Angela in The Office respectively) do it best. They go through the episode as if you were watching it which is something my ADD mind appreciates. Overtime they have coined many terms including “fast facts”, “fanmail flurry”, and “old tech alert.” They give behind the scenes details that are so fascinating they make you immediately want to go rewatch the episode and catch a character breaking or a continuity error. I have learned so much about the television industry and feel like I have gotten to know the hosts pretty well. I love them both but Angela is like a shot of espresso. She is so funny and energetic. It makes seeing her scowling face in The Office so much funnier. Jenna is actually the edgier one believe it or not. They have had many of their co-stars including, John Krasinski, Ed Helms, and Rainn Wilson come on the podcast and share their memories of filming. Something I am glad to know about The Office is how friendly and kind the cast was. When they reach out to minor characters it is common for them to gush about the set of The Office, saying it was the most welcoming set they ever worked on. 

4.) “Dark Air with Terry Carnation” 

Speaking of The Office, Rainn Wilson (actor who played Dwight) has a hilariously strange podcast called “Dark Air with Terry Carnation.” This skit style podcast tells the story of a man who is returning to a once popular paranormal radio show after taking a hiatus following his wife’s mysterious death. Thinking he hears her voice on air, Terry and his loyal sidekick Jeet go on wild goose chase in search of answers (against the advice, Dr. Kesden.) It is quirky, funny, and it keeps you on your toes. 

5.) “Dark History” 

It is a common feeling that the world has gone to shit. Turn on the T.V, get on the internet, or even just walk outside and you’re likely going to find out something terrible has happened. Typically within the past 30 minutes. What if I told you the world has ALWAYS been terrible?! That greed, racism, economic inequalities, exploitation, and the works have happened in every single society as soon as we gained the skills to do so! This is the gist of Bailey Sarian’s “Dark History.” From the circus to bananas, you can trust Sarian to get INTO it. It is a fascinating podcast and despite the grim subject matter the host does a great job of keeping things as light as possible. By the time you catch up with Bailey and her trusty sidekick/pet crow Joan, you’ll be pissed about a lot of things you never knew you should be pissed about.