10 Thoughts Cavs Fans Had About the Kyrie Trade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Ever since the Cavs brought home a championship in 2016 people have started paying attention to Cleveland more than ever before.  As many of you know by now, Kyrie Irving is no longer returning to the Cavs for this upcoming season.  When this news was announced, Cavs fans everywhere had a mix of emotions about the trade.  It comes with the territory of being a Cleveland sports fan: a mixture of heartbreak and feeling on top of the world.  While some people think that the trade was a solid move on the Cavs’ end, others are not so convinced.  Whatever side of the spectrum you’re on, here are 10 thoughts that probably went through your mind as you heard the rumors up to when they announced Kyrie was being traded to the Celtics.  

1. OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!

It very easily could’ve seemed that the world was ending (not that I’m being overdramatic or anything).  Kyrie has helped the Cavs make it to three consecutive NBA finals and let’s not forget that three-point shot over Steph Curry in 2016 during game 7, which if you ask me won us the game.  So basically why the f*** would he leave since after this past season Lebron told Kyrie that they’d be back.  It felt like we had to put together so many pieces of a complicated puzzle together all at once.  The news was hard to accept because I think it’s safe to say that Cleveland loved Kyrie so much that the thought of him leaving felt like breaking off a long term relationship.  

2. Is this some type of sick joke?

When the world got wind that Kyrie asked to be traded from the Cavs for this upcoming season it was hard to believe; it seemed almost as a publicity stunt.  Maybe some thought it was a joke so that they didn’t have to think about it or simply because they didn’t think that the Cavs would actually go through with his request.  Even my mom, who in my opinion is the biggest Cavs fan, thought that it was some type of media stunt to get people talking, she just couldn’t figure out the reason.

3.  Do I just sit here and cry or do I sit here and laugh nervously because I don’t know what to do with myself?

Like I said, I could totally be over dramatic but when I found out that Kyrie was being traded to the Boston Celtics in exchange for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, and the Nets’ 2018 first-round pick I didn’t know if I should cry or laugh.  So like most people, when I heard the news I started laughing which then turned into tears because honestly, I couldn’t believe that the rumors that I’ve been hearing for months have so suddenly came true.

4. I have to go to the season opener to see Kyrie play at least once this season.

I don’t know about you, but after I got my emotions under at least some control the first thought was that I absolutely have to go to the season opener to see him play.  There’s no better feeling than going to a basketball game with a few of your friends to cheer on your favorite team.  However, having the season opener be at The Q this year and against the Celtics is most definitely a bittersweet moment.    

5. What’s with Kyrie unfollowing Lebron on Instagram?

Before the trade actually happened people somehow managed to notice that Kyrie unfollowed Lebron on Instagram.  I don’t know about you, but I personally don’t have the time to sit there and go through the entire Cavs roster and see who follows who and who doesn’t follow each other.  Obviously, once I saw that this was a thing via Twitter I had to check it out for myself and, sure enough, he did unfollow him.  Once this was a thing I started to think maybe this isn’t some type of publicity stunt and that something really did happen between Kyrie and Lebron.  

6. Would we even want Kyrie if the trade didn’t happen?

If the trade didn’t happen obviously Kyrie very easily could still be with the Cavs.  However, some feel that if we didn’t end up trading Kyrie and didn’t grant his request that they wouldn’t want him anymore.  As much as I love Kyrie and the Cavs, I kinda agree with them. After all, we don’t know if he would give 100% to every game.  While you may be sitting there thinking “omg how could she actually sit there and think/ say something like this?”  Believe me, the thought pains me just as much. I completely get it from being an athlete growing up, though, because he clearly doesn’t want to play for us anymore, so why would he give 100%?

7. Do the Celtics realize how much they gave up?

Seeing the outcome of the trade made some Cavs fans laugh a little.  When you think about it, Kyrie and Isaiah Thomas sort of cancel each other out.  They’re both score-first point guards who don’t play great defense.  When you take them out of the picture Cleveland got way more out of the trade than Boston.  

8. What in the world do I do with all my Kyrie merchandise?

Like I said before it’s no secret that Cleveland is at a whole other level when it comes to love for the sports teams.  We feel like we have some type of personal connection to the player like they’re our close friends.  It’s hard to put into words and to explain to someone who isn’t from the Cleveland area.  But seriously, what the heck do I do with my jersey, fathead, bobblehead, etc.?  Some of my friends have told me to sell the stuff but honestly I don’t think I could ever bring myself to do that.  While some say to sell it all others say to keep it all because, after all, Kyrie is a fabulous player and just because he doesn’t play for my hometown team anymore isn’t an excuse to get rid of it.  I’m not going to lie it sucks seeing my fathead and bobblehead of him up on my wall every time I walk into my room, or his jersey hanging in my closet, but this is a professional sport. People get traded all the time, and while it sucks, it’s still important to remember all the amazing things that person has done for their team.  

9. Think positive.

While I definitely think it’s safe to say that Kyrie will be missed for this upcoming season, maybe the trade wasn’t such a bad thing.  Kyrie clearly wanted out of Cleveland and could’ve felt like he was living in Lebron’s shadow. He needs to be able to grow and get experience on other teams if he chooses to do so.  He also needs to become the “IT” man on a team, Cleveland idolizes Lebron for literally everything.  I’m not saying that Kyrie isn’t idolized in any way shape or form, but it’s not the same way for Lebron.  After all, he could’ve chosen to stay for the remaining two years of his contract were up and not put in as much effort and been miserable causing him to have bad blood with the organization or even leaving us the way Lebron did back in 2010.

10. Thank you for the incredible six years.

Kyrie my dude, we genuinely appreciate everything that you have done for the organization.  You’ve brought so much joy to Cleveland it’s unreal: you’ve helped bring home the first major league sports championship to Cleveland in 52 years and come back from a 3-1 lead, which is something that has never been done before.  While you will be missed, we wish you nothing but the very best for your career.  We hope that you accomplish everything you wish to and find everything that you’re looking for.  But on a real note: f*** the Celtics, but Kyrie we’re still rooting for you.

Just a girl who loves everything Cleveland and striving to make one positive impact a day.