This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Disclaimer: I am an intern for the Stacey Abrams for Governor campaign here in Georgia.

“Midterms” is a scary word here in college — usually, we’re talking about exams. But in politics, the midterm elections are a chance to express your complaints about your local government and enact change in your own community. What could be more exciting??

…Okay, not everyone gets super thrilled to cast their ballot for local politics. Maybe you’re “just not a political person,” or you feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities and effort voting seems to entail. That’s okay! I’m here to help.

First, let’s go over the basics of how to vote in person. This year, the midterm elections are on Tuesday, November 6th.

1. Am I registered?: At this point, you should already know whether you’re registered to vote. But if for some reason you still need to check, you can do that here.

2. Find your polling place. Early voting ended November 2nd, so while you could go to any polling place in your county during that time period, you now must go to the polling place that’s specific to your address. You can find your polling place by inputting your address here.

3. What’s on the ballot? You probably know who’s running for Governor, House, or Senate, but there are even more candidates down the ballot, so you’ll probably want to learn a little about them before you go to the polls. What’s really confusing is the referendums, measures, or propositions (they may be called something different depending on your state.) Unfortunately, these aren’t written in language that’s easy to understand, and they can even be worded in tricky ways that make the referendum seem to benefit one group when really benefiting another group entirely. One unbiased resource is BallotReady, where you can enter your address and learn about each candidate and referendum as you scroll down the sample ballot.

4. Get to the polls! Your polling place may be close enough for you to walk or bike. If that’s not an option, see if you can carpool with a friend. Alternatively, Uber and Lyft are offering free or discounted rides to the polls on election day, and if you’re at Agnes Scott, the Scottie Shuttle is taking students to the polls at several times throughout the day. (Scroll down for more info!)

Hopefully that answers all of your questions about in-person voting on Tuesday, November 6th. If you still have questions, check out vote.org.

You have the right to vote. If anyone tries to stop you, call the Election Protection Hotline at 1-866-687-8683.

And if you’re still in line and it’s getting close to the time that polls close… stay in line! As long as you’re in line, you can still vote.

Now that all the logistics are out of the way, let’s get to the fun stuff!

At Agnes Scott, there are some awesome election-related events going on.

The Scottie Shuttle is taking students to the polls all day on November 6th:

And a bunch of awesome clubs like Ignite, Witkaze, Muslim Student Association, and more are collaborating to host an Election Night Watch Party, where you can come in your pajamas and eat Insomnia cookies while you stave off your anxiety-related insomnia! Uh, I mean, just have a normal night in your pajamas. Fun. Calm. Normal.

So. Why vote on Tuesday?

• You can make your voice heard.

(via GIPHY)

• You can bring a friend, or several friends, with you.

(via GIPHY)

• You can show your support for a candidate who you believe will bring positive change to your community.

(via GIPHY)

• You (and your friends!) have an excuse to get yourself a special treat after waiting in line.

(via GIPHY)

• You get a sticker!

(via GIPHY)

• You feel like an adult.

(via GIPHY)

If you want to go the extra mile — and you’re reading this before or on Tuesday, Nov. 6th — you can even make phone calls, knock doors, or send texts encouraging people to vote! The best way to find out information on how to volunteer is to visit the official website of your chosen candidate.

(via GIPHY)

You’re not Oprah…  but people will still be happy to see you!

(via GIPHY)

Now get out there and exercise your civic duty!

Alex Brown

Agnes Scott '19

Alex is a senior at Agnes Scott College sauntering vaguely towards a degree in Creative Writing. She likes chai lattes, alt-folk, and queering HerCampus.