jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Unsolicited Advice: Here’s Why You Should Cut it Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Have you ever felt compelled to comment on someone’s makeup look or skin when you thought that it did not meet your standards? Did you ever agree with a comment or suggestion on someone’s body? Have you ever accused someone of being rude or ungrateful when they express their discomfort with this type of “advice?” If you said yes to any of these, then you are a perpetrator of unsolicited advice, otherwise known as being a hater, and my advice: cut it out and mind your business because you may be doing more harm than good.

Unsolicited advice is when someone offers help to someone that did not ask. While the person may feel like they are being genuinely helpful, there is a reason why the person they were trying to help didn’t ask: they didn’t need it from them. I understand that not all comments come with malicious intent, but if they aren’t seeking advice or help, they are most likely already doing what they feel is best for them. It is amazing to me how people turn into doctors, dermatologists, baby experts, etc., and give critical advice to a complete stranger online or in person. It’s unfair to them because it’s as if people assume that they are making unhealthy choices or doing something wrong in their life. Whether or not you have malicious intentions or not, it may come off as rude anyway.

Before you look at a person and judge, realize that you have no idea where they are in life. They may have made a lot of progress in their personal journeys and are gradually meeting their goals. Pointing out any “flaws” might set them back and make them feel as though the progress that they have made does not matter. It is also very unnecessary to point these out as if a person does not already know what they look like. 

Something else that needs to be pointed out; there is not a single person that is perfect. Your idea of a “flaw” maybe something that someone else loves about themselves or learned to embrace. So before you want to use your “freedom of speech,” ask yourself if negativity is what you want to use it on.

Lourrain Simon

Agnes Scott '21

Lourrain Simon is a senior at Agnes Scott College majoring in English Creative Writing and minoring in French. Aside from writing short stories, her favorite things to write about are movie reviews and articles sharing her opinions about political and pop culture news. Her other hobbies include dancing and doing makeup art.