This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

After being accepted into my study abroad program, I thought I might share four important tips to those who are thinking of doing the same.

Research: If you are thinking about going abroad, I suggest that you first start your search on the ISEP website. It will show you all of the options that are available to Agnes students. You can filter it by region, language, GPA, chances of placement, major, etc. Originally, I only wanted to study in the United Kingdom, but after researching several schools in Europe, I realized that there were other countries that offered more of the things that were important to me.

Research also includes going to the events and info sessions that the Center for Global Learning hosts. While I was there, I was able to talk to students who had just returned from their trips abroad and I was introduced to the study abroad advisors.

https://search.isepstudyabroad.org/FindAProgram/Map/d889daf6-433c-427f-8583-948eee4d491d

Familiarize Yourself with Websites: Once you have found some schools that might be a good fit for you, check out their websites. Almost all of them have study abroad sections where you can learn more about their programs. This will help you narrow down your options. I looked at their course catalogs as well to get an idea of what classes might be available to me during the fall season. It’s also nice to be able to see additional pictures of campuses and their locations.

Via BucketListly photos (Dresden, Germany)

Get it Done Early: There’s no sugar coating it– there is a lot of paperwork to do for study abroad. My program was through ISEP, so I had to fill out an online form for ISEP and one for Agnes. It required a teacher recommendation and had to be approved by my advisor before the actual deadline. I wrote a personal essay and had to list classes that I wanted to take while abroad. A week or two before the deadline, the college I applied for pulled out of the ISEP program. Thankfully, the rest of my application was already finished, so I didn’t have to scramble to get it done. If I hadn’t already had everything done, I might not have had all my materials in on time and that might have hurt my chances of being accepted into another program. Get it done as soon as possible!

Talk to Your Advisor: So, you decided that you want to study abroad while at Agnes. Now, you need to meet with your advisor. Make an appointment or talk to them briefly during open office hours. They can help you decide where you want to go and answer all of your questions. When I was fixated on going to the UK, my advisor suggested a college in Belgium as an alternative. I never would have known that was a great option if she hadn’t told me.

https://www.agnesscott.edu/global-learning/contact-staff.html

Via BucketListly Photos (Chamonix, France)