etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Three Reasons Why Lisbon Should Be On Your Travel Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

This past summer, I was able to take a post-high school graduation trip to Europe with two of my closest friends. The trip was absolutely life changing in so many ways. Traveling without my parents or other adults allowed me to learn valuable lessons about myself and the world around me. I was also able to make some amazing memories with some of my favorite people. Each of the four capital cities we traveled to in that month was unique and beautiful in its own way. However, I unexpectedly fell in love with the city of Lisbon. I can talk for hours about everything this underrated destination has to offer. However, for the purposes of this post, I have decided to shorten my list to the top 3 reasons why you should visit Lisbon.

1. It’s gorgeous-

I can describe the feel of  Paris as timeless and romantic, the feel of London as trendy; but I can’t find the words to describe the aesthetic of Lisbon.I remember our first morning in the city. My friends and I walked in near silence to the city center, not because we were tired from the journey the day before or because of an early morning disagreement, but because we were too awe-struck by the unique beauty of this city to speak. While Portugal is in Europe, it is relatively close to North Africa, specifically Morocco, this results in the buildings of Lisbon being incredibly unique, as the style of architecture is a blend of North African and European characteristics. Unlike other capital cities, Lisbon has lots of green space and parks. Finally, Lisbon is a city built on seven hills so while walking around the city can become a bit of a workout, you can also get incredible views and pictures.

2. You’ll never be bored-

In the planning stages of our trip, people were often confused when I mentioned we would be going to Lisbon for a week. They were concerned that there wouldn’t be enough for us to do in Lisbon Interestingly enough, most of these people had never been. My friends and I found out that the city has a lot to offer. There’s the world-famous oceanarium, the picturesque district of Alfama, and bustling Praca de Commercio. If you’re willing to go outside of the city, the historic town of Sintra is a good idea for a day trip and if you want the best views of the city, I would recommend taking the tram uphill to the Castle of St.Jorge. My favorite part of Lisbon was the district of Belem, there are cute shops and restaurants by the river Tagus, a fascinating archeology museum, and the breathtaking church of Belem. If you have a sweet tooth, going to the Pasteis de Belem shop to try a fresh out of the oven Pastel de Nata (a Portuguese egg tart) is a must do. Lisbon is also a city with a bit of a hidden history, so if you’re a history nerd like me, I recommend a walking tour of the city.

3. The people-

Europeans have a bit of a reputation. There’s the stereotype of the rude French waiter or the inpatient Italian taxi driver, however, in my experience, the people in Lisbon were completely different. To begin with, every waiter, driver, or shop owner greeted us with a sincere smile. And they were always eager to help when we had questions or needed directions. What surprised me, even more, was how kind people who didn’t even work in the hospitality industry were. For example, I was on the tram going up to the district of Alfama and trying to get the beat-up ticket machine to take my money. In Paris or Madrid, the people behind me would have been shooting me death glares or giving me condescending instructions on how to use the machine. In Lisbon however, I didn’t feel like an incompetent tourist, the other people in the line tried to help me and many tried to let me swap my bill with theirs. When I talk to other people who have been to Portugal, they often have a story or two about an encounter with a kind local. In addition, unlike other European population centers, the people in Lisbon tend to be more relaxed and easy going, there isn’t any particular rush to do anything. The effect is an extremely relaxing and uplifting ambiance to the city.

Images via Unsplash.com 

Lilia Memarzadeh

Agnes Scott '22

Lilia Memarzadeh is a first-year student at Agnes Scott and a native of Atlanta. While she is undecided in her major, her academic interests include anthropology, psychology,  and history. On any given Saturday morning, you will probably find Lilia sipping a latte in a local coffee shop engrossed in a book. She also enjoys creating her own cosmetic products using natural ingredients, cuddling on the couch with her beloved cockapoo dog, exploring the different restaurants and shops in the Atlanta/Decatur area, and the occasional (or not so occasional) Netflix binge. A profile of Lilia would be incomplete without including her love of travel. While she already has had the privilege of traveling through the United States and 10 other countries, there are still many places that she would like to visit. Some of the destinations on her travel bucket list include Moscow, Oslo, Yerevan, and Cape Town.