A Southerner’s Guide to Surviving the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

If you’re a true Southerner, when you say you want tea, it’s iced, sweet, and cold. If you’re a true Southerner, your “mama” probably has a certain set of dishes and furniture pieces that she only brings out for holidays, family gatherings, or other special events. If you’re a true Southerner, any temperature below 60 degrees should be illegal. While you can’t escape these deathly insane temperatures, you can prepare yourself for your unwelcomed guest for these next few months.

(Image by Ian Schneider from Unplash)

Check your weather app every morning.

When the weather was warmer, it was much easier to walk out with just about anything. As the weather is going through its changes, it is typically much cooler in the mornings ranging in the 40’s, and about thirty degrees warmer in the afternoons in the 70’s. Needless to say, be sure that you are prepared for the morning by checking your phone (or even watching the local news).

(Image by Elyssa Zornes on Unplash)

Layer up.

It’s not to a shock to hear that a lot of Southerners may not have the proper attire, and in this instance, that means a suitable coat, to fulfill your body temperature needs during the colder months. If you don’t have the funds to go out and buy a heavier coat, be sure to layer your attire. Wear long sleeves with a crewneck or sweatshirt of some sort and a jacket on top of that. Additionally, bring out the scarves, hats, gloves, and earmuffs (on the really cold days). Your small jacket will not withstand these temperatures by themselves, so throw on the extra help.

(Image by Kelly Sikkema on Unplash)

Sleep with extra covers.

A lot of people prefer sleeping in cooler environments, which is actually the recommended way to fall asleep. However, it may be harder for others to fall asleep when feeling too chilly. If that’s the case for you, don’t suffer in silence. Pile on some extra comfort!

(Image by Marcus Cramer on Unplash)

Drink warm beverages.

Really, this time of year is even more of an excuse to drink hot tea on a regular basis. You should consider drinking green tea or chamomile tea to help your immune system keep up with the temperature change. Plus, who isn’t already craving hot chocolate?

(Image by Sabri Tuzcu on Unplash)

Appreciate the heat when it comes back.

I know. We always praise the heat as soon as winter is over. Some people were probably even cheering on the cold as the last few days went on. But as the old saying goes, you never truly appreciate anything until it’s gone. So we will bare through these long, dreadful, months of icy cold (at least cold to a Southerner), and we will return to the warmer months with more love and value for the half of the year of that is closest to our hearts.

Image by Sai Kiran Anagani on Unplash

MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/