Scottie Jane Lado on The Personal Impact of Deportation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Last month, a Scottie by the name of Jane Lado reached out to Agnes Scott students, asking them to sign a petition to help her bring her mother back to the United States, who had been deported to South Sudan in 2011, back to the United States. Jane’s mother, Jackline Soka, arrived in the United States in 2001 as an immigrant with her three children and her husband, who she divorced in 2006. As of now, Soka is separated from her six children and will not be eligible to reapply to enter the United States until her first American child, who is 14, turns 18. I interviewed Jane to ask her questions about her personal experience so that she can raise awareness of not only her family’s situation but also of the damage these family separations can have.

HC: Hi Jane. Can you please share some information about yourself so those reading can have a better understanding of who you are as a person? (Hobbies, Major, etc.)

JL: I’m a sophomore, my major is chemistry on the track of pre-medicine. I play basketball, I love photography and painting. I’m also into fashion.

HC: Although you moved from Sudan at such a young age, do you have any memories of what the transition was like for you and family?

JL: I just know that our life there wasn’t the best choice for my family, which is why we left to begin with, and that my parents wanted better for us.

HC: Why did your family decide to move to the United States?

JL: Really more opportunities, to have a better life, and to get away from any wars that may occur based on past wars.

HC: It’s obvious that this situation has negatively impacted you and your family, but what is one unexpected way in which it affected your family?

JL:  I would have to say is growing up without a mother figure. The fact that our father has to play both the mother and father figure, and since he has to deal with many, many factors with her absence — that put a lot of responsibilities and struggles for my father. Especially for me being the oldest girl and oldest child in the house, my family depends on my a lot, especially for my siblings. Making sure that they continue their studies just as I am and being that role model that they can look up too. Growing up without my mother as a female is hard because there are many aspects I didn’t really get to learn because my mother isn’t here. As well as the many years gone that we can’t get back.

HC: Do you have any advice for people that may be encountering similar situations?

JL: Raise awareness! Let others know your situation and let them know how you living your life unhappy is effective. Also informing the government/ U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (UCIS) and that separation between families isn’t right.

Photo by Nitish Meena on Unsplash

HC: Besides signing the petition, what are other ways that people can help you and your family?

JL: If there are any resources people know of that can any possible way help us or anybody I can talk to, that would be great!

HC: Would you like to add anything to conclude the interview?

JL: Thank you for interviewing me about something that really means a lot to me.

Brianna Walton

Agnes Scott '21

Brianna graduated from Agnes Scott College in 2021 with a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Business Management. She has a passion for social justice issues, self-care, and self-expression via writing. Her favorite things to do are listen to music, draw, talk to friends, and take long walks in nature. She is currently working as a digital marketer and freelance social media manager.