This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

I think that it is safe to say that none of us expected the year 2020 to end up this way. Since these years brought much turmoil due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many of us are quick to write off this year as the worst year of our lives. However, since last year came to an end, I wanted to highlight some positive things that happened to me last year. I realize that I am very fortunate to have had a better experience of 2020 than others and I just want to acknowledge that I am grateful to be living during this time despite the many deaths and unfortunate events experienced by others. I hope that this article can inspire you to evaluate some of the positive things that happen to you last year.

At the beginning of 2020, I was reaching the college acceptance phase of my senior year, and during quarantine, I was able to find out that I got accepted to 8 out of the 13 schools that I applied to! I truly value this as an accomplishment, because for the last six years I traveled over an hour and a half to school every day. Doing this type of travel every day on top of schoolwork and extracurricular activities was emotionally taxing on me. So I am really glad that all my hard work paid off in the end.

Towards the end of June 2020, I was able to turn 18 years old and spend my birthday with my close family and I got to read bell hooks’ book, “All About Love.” The week after I was able to pass my senior portfolio defense, which meant that I could finally get my high school diploma and graduate. To my surprise, my school mailed my diploma and my cap & gown and I was able to take some graduation pictures and officially declare myself a high school graduate. Lastly, I found out that I won the Boston Pearl Foundation scholarship, which I was beyond elated about! Once again, I want to take the time to thank the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Psi Omega Chapter for this generous gift.

Finally, the fall of 2020 brought some important positive gems that fulfilled my experience of 2020. My time at Agnes Scott has granted me the opportunity to make new friends from my LDR-101 class, shoutout to Rosie, Jordan, and Tamia. Additionally, I got the chance to experience Witkaze and meet such a close-knit community. Lastly, I got the opportunity to join Her Campus, where I was able to meet amazing people and get an internship. More importantly, I finally found an outlet that allowed me to express my interests through writing. So it turns out that my 2020 was not that bad. I strongly advise you to list at least a few positive things that happened to you last year.

Cassandra Calixte

Agnes Scott '24

Cassandra is a second-year contributor to HerCampus at Agnes Scott College. Cassandra plans to major in Economics. In her future endeavors, she seeks the chance to go to grad school and write a book one day. Cassandra is a firm believer in the ability of words to ignite inspiration and provide refuge for those who need it. She is also a bit of a Flim fanatic!