My Obsession with Leggings is Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

So I was in Target the other day with a mission to stock up on some comfy leggings– the most necessary item of clothing, in my opinion. When I came in, I approached the sales representative and asked where I could find these beautiful leg huggers (because we all know that Target is a wonderful maze intended to make you blow all of your paycheck). She kindly directed me to an ENTIRE section dedicated to fall and winter leggings. I blissfully pranced over to the golden city of joy, only to be side lined by bold numbers framed in gold.

A single pair of decent leggings was $18.00. I was completely shocked. Now, as a college student, anything over ten bucks is a luxury good. I wasn’t about to stock up on anything other than debt if I decided to whimsically buy a pair or two. I left the store utterly defeated, my legs bare to the elements. In my despair, I began to think.

How can an item so simple be so popular?

But more importantly, why are they so expensive? At Victoria’s Secret, a good pair will set you back 20 dollars. On the Spanx website, their signature no show leggings range from 68 to 72 dollars. The industry is completely saturated with all sorts of leggingsㅡ black, white, zebra print, and neon–  and the prices keep rising! Consumers have to fork out the big bucks if they want to feel warm and cozy this winter. What’s worse is that we all are going to pay for it.

SPANX

VICTORIAS SECRET

Listen people, the corporations have caught onto our dirty little secret. They know that we will do almost anything to wear leggings instead of pants. College students are especially vulnerable; we all know that leggings are the only things that are going to get us through finals this year. Our fearless obsession with not wearing pants is out of the bag, and now we have to pay the same amount for leggings as we did for pants those dark years ago.

I have to admit, I went back to the Target on Sunday. I walked straight over the the giant selection and picked out a pair of the softest legging you’ve ever had the pleasure of wearing. I shamelessly placed my purchase on the belt, and looked at the cashier as if to say “Yes, I am about to drop 20 dollars on leggings.”  With my purchase in hand, I left the store with my head held high, and my wallet significantly lighter. Because if you can’t beat them, join them broke and significantly more comfortable.

Alas, you can’t win them all. But, with my trusty black leggings, I am definitely winning no shave November this year.

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.
Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.