My Favorite Lyrics from Beyonce’s “Lemonade” — A Year After Its Release

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Today marks exactly one year since the official release of Beyonce’s visual studio album, Lemonade. It is arguably one of the most critically acclaimed, both positive and negative, albums of the decade. For many listeners, it is an album about redemption and forgiveness for her husband’s (rapper Jay-Z) speculated affair. There are others that see it as Beyonce lashing out against a private matter that should only be handled within the bounds of her own marriage. And, of course, there are some who believe the whole scandal was staged just to help promote her album sales. Whatever you believe, the album still holds a relevant spot in the world today. From powerful lines addressing issues of racial injustice to heart-breaking melodies of an endangered love, and to bad-ass lyrics that promote straight up girl-power, Lemonade is an album that will continue to live on.

I was personally going through some rough changes in my life a couple of days after the release of this album. Without a doubt, this album resonated with me and got me through some of my worst days. Here are my favorite lyrics from each track on the album because…why not?

Pray You Catch Me

“What are you doing, my love?”

• A song about trust and hope. What are you doing, Jay? Why aren’t you being truthful and honest with Bey? Do you see her yearning for your attention? And just to clarify, Beyonce doesn’t actually sing these words (she whispers them at the very end of the song). I’ll explain later why they are so significant to me.

Hold Up

“What’s worse–looking jealous or crazy? Jealous and crazy?

Or like being walked all over lately, walked all over lately

I’d rather be crazy.”

• We have all been here. In Bey’s case, she tired of being dragged around for a love she knows is deep for her husband. So instead of sitting around and being played with, she decides to be “crazy” and defend her love. Though, I think crazy is not the word. I think she’s more or less defending her love.

Don’t Hurt Yourself

“Who the f*** do you think I am?

You ain’t married to no average b**** boy.”

• Almost every time I hear this line, I get an ounce more of confidence. Honestly, who do you think I am? Not someone to be played with, that’s for sure. Unless you want to ruin your own self in the process.

Sorry

“Now you gotta see me wildin’

Now I’m the one that’s lying

And I don’t feel bad about it

It’s exactly what you get

Stop interrupting my grinding

(You’re interrupting my grinding).”

• Interrupting my grinding, peace of mind…and now you’re trying to tell me I’m in the wrong for trying to have some fun? Oh no, not today.

6 Inch

“She works for the money, she work for the money

From the start to the finish.

And she worth every dollar, she worth every dollar

And she worth every minute.”

• This is the ultimate girl power song. It’s about going out and doing you. Get out and work for your money, any way you see possible.

Daddy Lessons

“My daddy warned me about men like you

He said, baby girl, he’s playing you

He’s playing you.”

• I remember my own dad warning me to stay away from certain guys. Did I always listen? Definitely not. But I do think it is important to remind ourselves to be cognizant of how people treat us, especially our significant others. If they don’t treat you with respect, love, and dignity, let them go.

Love Drought

“Are you aware you’re my lifeline, are you tryna kill me?

If I wasn’t me, would you still feel me?

Like on my worst day?

Or am I not thirsty, enough?

I don’t care about the lights or the beams

Spend my life in the dark for the sake of you and me

Only way to go is up, skin thick, too tough.”

• Even though most of the songs in the beginning of the album are about frustration and resentment, Beyonce turns it around with a much lighter sound. These lyrics help serve as a sign of faith in her love. Wow, Bey, I commend you.

Sandcastles

“And your heart is broken ’cause I walked away

Show me your scars and I won’t walk away

And I know I promised that I couldn’t stay, baby

Every promise don’t work out that way.”

• I’m not going to lie, this song definitely gets me in my feelings if I’m up for it. After making a life with someone, spending so much time and effort, you deserve to have them give some sort of explanation. But life won’t always give you what you deserve.

Forward

“It’s time to listen, it’s time to fight

Forward.”

• You’ve had all your time to be mad at each other. You’ve said things you didn’t mean, and you did actions that you didn’t think all the way through. Now let’s fix us. Let’s get back to what we used to be. Better yet, let’s move on, and be even better!

Freedom

“I break chains all by myself

Won’t let my freedom rot in hell

Hey! I’ma keep running

Cause a winner don’t quit on themselves.”

• I especially enjoyed the video with this song. In the video, Beyonce paid her respects to young black men killed by police brutality in recent years by having their mothers hold up photos of them. Additionally, it holds a general pick-me-up tactic: Don’t quit. By any means, get what you want and what you feel you deserve because, in the end, you deserve it as much as anyone else. And lastly, she and Kendrick Lamar killed their performance of this song at the 2016 BET Awards.

All Night

• Honestly, I can’t choose my favorite lyrics from this song because it’s my ultimate favorite song ‘til this day. But if you remember me mentioning about my further explanation of Pray You Catch Me, at the very end of this song Beyonce says “Oh I missed you my love.” It’s a response to what she said at the end of Pray You Catch Me. Even after all the mess, stress, heartbreak, sorrow, crying, cheating, lies, anger, etc., you can still look past all of that and maybe not necessarily take someone back, but at the most, forgive them. “With every tear came redemption / And my torturer became my remedy.” You can find forgiveness in any situation, no matter what it is.

Formation

“Always stay gracious, best revenge is your paper.”

• And to top it off, of curse Bey featured another song that tributes to girl power. If your love life isn’t working out, go focus on you!

This is an album that I will always feel close to. Happy one year anniversary to Lemonade!

Image credit: Thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lyrics from genius.com.

MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/