This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

The other day, I was notified that I was accepted into a study abroad program in Northern Ireland. At first, I was ecstatic! Me? In another country? Living it up as a Southern girl in Europe? But then I got to thinking. How was I going to fit my entire life into one suitcase? You see, I have a problem. I love clothes, and it is VERY hard for me to get rid of said clothes. I knew that if I was going to be successful in my study abroad packing, I would have to consolidate a lot of my clothing items. For inspiration and support, I went where any twenty-something would go, Pinterest.

One of the first things I found was a new trend called the capsule wardrobe. From a series of Youtube videos I watched, I began to understand this trend as a minimalist effort to style wardrobes into smaller modules consisting of only a handful of items. Many of these capsule wardrobes were close to my style, so I decided to embark on a fashion journey and simplify my wardrobe.

The first thing I did to create my capsule wardrobe was to figure out what I had in my entire collection. Unfortunately, this meant tackling the mountain of clothes that had steadily built in my closet. After about an hour of sorting, this is what I found. In total, I had 35 tops, over 40 t-shirts, 19 dresses, and 36 pairs of pants and leggings. In short, I had too many damn clothes.

For my capsule wardrobe experiment, I separated my wardrobe into 3 categories: Work, Casual, and Fitness. I decided to limit myself to four pairs of pants/skirts, and four shirts for my first group of outfits, and one dress, two pairs of pants, and one dress shirt for my second group of outfits. I need three groups of outfits because I go to school for part of the week, while the rest of the week I work at an internship with a business casual environment. I choose not to limit my accessories or shoe selection to allow for greater flexibility in my day-to-day. 

Business Capsule

Casual Capsule – Pants

Casual Capsule: Tops

Workout Capsule

After compiling my three outfit groups, I felt like I had a great start to my new wardrobe. I packed away everything that was not included in the three categories in three giant trash bags and  I immediately noticed a difference. Without being overwhelmed by outfit choices, I had the freedom to spend more of my day focused on other tasks. The way I limited my wardrobe also forced me to stay away from constantly wearing yoga pants to school. Looking forward to my trip to Northern Ireland, I know that condensing my life into one suitcase will be a challenge. However, with a capsule wardrobe, and a bit of creativity, I think I will be able to pull off a fashionable, yet minimalist lifestyle during my adventures abroad.

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.