Meet Avery Kiesling!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

1) Name, major, hometown, class year?

Avery Kiesling, Psychology, Overland Park, Kansas, Sophomore!

2) How was your first year as an Resident Advisor (RA)?

My first year as an RA was quite wonderful! It was full of surprises, laughter, and change! Some days were hard to get through, but without those tough days, I wouldn’t be the person I am today and I am so thankful for that! As I reflect back on the year, I can see how much I’ve grown as a person, student, and friend. I wouldn’t change it for anything!

3)    What are the pros and cons of being an RA?

Pros: My favorite aspect about the RA position is the opportunity to meet SO many people and learn so many different things! I love being pushed out of my comfort zone everyday. Another great aspect is being in a position where you can truly make someone’s day brighter. I love making door decs and posters that bring joy to my residents! And I have to admit, I love having my own room. It gives me a chance to recharge and have some time to myself!

Cons: Something I struggled with is living where I work. I always have to be aware of what is happening on the hall and it can be a bit exhausting. However, going back to one of my pros, it helps having my own room! Another tough thing for me is dealing with confrontation. It’s hard for me to confront people so I tend it avoid if possible, but being an RA has taught me how to handle different situations so I have definitely grown in that area.

4)    What is your favorite part of being an RA?

My favorite part of being an RA is watching my residents discover who they are and grow into amazing people! College can be a super confusing time, but it’s really great to see someone embrace who they are!

5)    How do you handle tough situations?

Like I mentioned earlier, I have a hard time handling tough situations. I want to make sure everyone is happy at the end of the day and sometimes, that can be hard to do. Whenever I am in a tough situation, I’m not afraid to reach out to my fellow RA friends and staff members. Especially those who have more experience. The RA staff is always willing to lend a helping hand and with our combined teamwork, we are usually able to find a solution.

6)    What is your favorite part of being an RA?

My golden rule for all my residents is to just be kind. I know it sounds so arbitrary, but when people are rude it creates an unwelcome environment that no one wants to live in. If my residents and I can work together in creating a positive place to live, it makes life ten times better!

7) What do you think makes a great RA (such as yourself)?

I think being a great RA is all about doing the little things consistently. Smiling and saying hello to residents as they walk by or making cute door decs can go miles. In my opinion, it’s the little things that will eventually make all the difference!

8) For people considering becoming an RA, do you feel like this experience is beneficial for any future goals or jobs?

Even though being an RA can be stressful at times, I would definitely recommend trying it to anyone who is interested. Not only does it provide an outlet to get involved in campus, but it teaches so many skills that someone can use on future jobs. Communication, ability to work with other people, dedication,  and time management are all crucial characteristics jobs look for and they are all things I have learned as an RA.

9) How do you de-stress from the job?

To de-stress from being an RA and just life in general, I love to do yoga, read, and spend time outdoors. All of these things allow me to relax and rejuvenate. First semester, I was horrible about making time for myself and that really took it’s toll so I have really been trying to focus on doing whatever I can to be my happiest and healthiest!

Grace Spurgin

Agnes Scott

Grace Spurgin is a freshman at Agnes Scott College in the great Decatur-Atlanta area, but born and raised in sunny Tampa, Florida. She is double majoring in International Relations and Political Science in hopes of one day studying International law. She is an active member in Colonnade Club, which deals with alumnae events and relations, and Programming Board for all school event planning. She is the founder of the Agnes Scott chapter for Her Campus. She loves to travel and try any new things; for example, she is a certified deep sea diver!