Meet Asha Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

HerCampus Campus Cutie:Asha Boston, ‘14

Interviewed/Written by: Alexis Jackson

Asha Boston is a senior at Agnes Scott College majoring in International Relations. She currently serves on the Executive Board of Witkaze (Black Student Organization) as the Historian/Parliamentarian/Alumni Liaison. She is also a committed member of the campus gospel choir, Joyful Noise. Asha aspires to become an awesome photojournalist one day. In her own words, if Anderson Cooper and Soledad O’Brien had a love child it would ultimately be her.

I was lucky enough to interview her on senior picture day!

Major: International Relations

Hometown: Br-Br-Brooookkklllyyynnn, New York

Hobbies: Photography, reading, writing, and singing

Relationship Status: City-girl Single

1. Why Agnes?

I chose Agnes Scott because I wanted something different from what I was used to. Coming to Agnes was more than just a “college choice”, it was a huge change of pace.  I’m originally from New York City so I’m used to everything being fast, crowded, and cold. Agnes offered a nice alternative and met my educational needs (small class sizes, great International

Relations program), which I couldn’t be happier about. I also love the motto of “Who will you become?” It speaks volumes in highlighting that the school allows the student to find and define herself and her experience and then take on the world!

2. Asha, what does the fox say?

[laughs] The fox [red class/senior class mascot] says, “I want to graduate! Honestly,that’s what all the foxes are saying.”

3. Celebrity crush?

I don’t have one, I know it’s weird but I don’t have one. I’m scared that in my journalism career I might end up meeting them one day and stand there “fan-girling” instead of doing my job. Actually, that “kind of” happened to me once.

When I was in middle school I LOVED B5. We’re talking: day dreaming of the day I’d met them and become BFFs, composition notebooks with pictures and random facts, limitless posters from Word Up magazines, rushing home to feverishly watch them move down the 106 count down, the whole nine. [laughs] Earlier in the summer, I got the chance to watch them perform at the Universal/Def Jam/Motown headquarters and conduct an interview, which was a dream come true. Instead of being able to talk to them when the fans left and I was finished working, I stood there in shock texting my friends about the experience while they [B5] were chilling, walking around and eating pizza. I was so nervous, I didn’t try to “be their friend” at all. I guess it’s safe to say that when it comes to my job and normal life, celebrity crushes will never work out.

4. Style influences?

Both Paris and New York have done a number on me. New York gives me this cool ‘chic’ and ‘on the go’ look. I have Paris to thank for the black skinny jean collection I’ve got going.

I know this is weird, but I also really admire the wardrobes of lead women in late 80s and 90s sitcoms. Claire Huxtable for starters, I just love her style! She owned whatever she had on, which made her so much more amazing! Denise had some pretty cool outfits as well. I’m also a HUGE fan of Whitley Gilbert from A Different World. I’d take her slick jumpsuits and clean cut oversized blazers any day.

5. Current obsession?

One of my good friends from middle school recently released an EP and I’m OBSESSED! Her name is Saika and the project is called “Fall of Hero.” She actually does have a song on there called Fall of a Hero, which I love, however the first song Gold is my absolute favorite! You should check her out –> http://saikoworld.com/

6. What’s your passion?

The Passion Fruit Vineyard. ;-) That’s actually the name of my now (up and coming) multimedia production company but it began as a clothing line. I like fashion, but since starting the brand I’ve fallen more in love with photojournalism, photography and documentary making. So I decided to keep the brand name but sow some new seeds that will hopefully begin to blossom soon. Watch out for me!

7. Favorite 90s TV show?

Aw man, A Different World, All That, and The Rugrats. When I was younger I wanted to be funny just so I could be on All That. It was like a kid’s version of Saturday Night Live, and who wouldn’t want to be apart of that cast? But obviously it didn’t work out for me and I guess that’s ok.

8. Key to your heart?

Everyone says this but good food, I love to eat. Also being silly! I’m a really silly person. If you can make me laugh and not be afraid to get silly in public, then we’ve got something to work with.

9. Dating deal-breakers?

No drive, if you’re not heading somewhere, it’s not going to work. Period. Also I really don’t like dishonesty.

10. Study abroad experience?

[sighs] Ah, Paris. I miss it everyday. I never thought I’d love a place as much as I love New York, but Paris proved me wrong. The culture, the fashion, the language, the people, the food and desserts, oh mercy the desserts… They were all so amazing and I miss it terribly. Everyone should study abroad it’ll be the best and most rewarding time of your life.

11. Most “Agnes” moment?

Agnes is such a magical place sometimes, especially our grass. We have magical grass. During my freshman year I came back to campus early to participate in Career Observation Day during winter break. It was the one time I’ve ever seen snow actually stick to the ground in Georgia. The whole campus was iced over like a skating rink and I couldn’t even get to my dorm (Winship) from the front loop. After a day or two of trekking across campus, facilities finally began to clear the walk ways. When they “defrosted” the quad I kid you not the grass was green. I was absolutely amazed. Who breaks ice to find green grass budding underneath? Crazy. Magical. Only at Agnes.

Grace Spurgin

Agnes Scott

Grace Spurgin is a freshman at Agnes Scott College in the great Decatur-Atlanta area, but born and raised in sunny Tampa, Florida. She is double majoring in International Relations and Political Science in hopes of one day studying International law. She is an active member in Colonnade Club, which deals with alumnae events and relations, and Programming Board for all school event planning. She is the founder of the Agnes Scott chapter for Her Campus. She loves to travel and try any new things; for example, she is a certified deep sea diver!