Iphone Taking Photo Of Pumpkins
Iphone Taking Photo Of Pumpkins
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

It’s never too early to start decorating for Halloween!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

It’s officially the last week of September going onto the first week of October, and I’m here to remind you to decorate for Halloween! OK, so maybe you’re thinking it’s a little bit too early to start decorating for the best holiday of the year but I’m here to let you know that it isn’t. Halloween is currently heavily commercialized in the United States of America, but it’s still a fun holiday to celebrate. Even though Covid-19 is on the scene, you can still enjoy these small things in life. I’m sure there’ll be restrictions in place due to the pandemic. For one thing, I have no doubt that there will be no trick-or-treating this year. 

However, just because there’ll be no trick-or-treaters as in children, preteens, and teenagers (and evil entities) knocking up your house demanding candy (or your soul); doesn’t mean you can’t still decorate said home. Having that festive look can actually brighten someone’s day or even make your own a little more spooky. Decorating can also mean that you’re still celebrating the holiday (and letting the spirits know you mean business, so they should back off). It’s an excuse to let out your creativity. The decorations don’t even have to be that scary. You can make them cute looking and colorful. Adding spiderwebs to the bushes outside or even hanging up bats can bring out the Halloween spirit. You don’t have to necessarily decorate your front lawn, it can be your backyard, any room in the house, any window or doors. As long as you have permission, go wild (don’t get sued in property damage). Adding lights, spooky ghosts, vampires, and gravestones to any area of the house also sticks up your claim of “Hey look at me! I’m still celebrating and I’m excited to show my creativity!” You can even make some decorations yourself with things found around your living space. Ordering online, or even picking stuff at the store (with proper safety measures) can also be an awesome alternate. Reusing or repurposing anything from other years or even printing stuff also is a good way to go. If you need inspiration looking stuff up on Pinterest, Youtube, or even Tik-Tok can help. 

If you decide to go the traditional way of carving a pumpkin to ward off the evil spirits of the night, you can make it to a fun activity with friends over Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, Discord, etc. Remember you don’t necessarily have to do all of this by yourself, have family help you, or your friends online. Just remember to respect each other’s artistic differences. It’s never too early or too late to start decorating for Halloween! 

Annel Chavez

Agnes Scott '21

Annel Chavez is a student at Agnes Scott College. She's majoring in English Creative Writing with a minor in Spanish. She grew up in the Southside of Chicago and enjoys exploring her city when she can. Annel loves to read, write, draw, long walks, her dog, and anything that gets her creative mind going.