alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Interview with My Drunk Roommate: Katie Dickson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

For those of you who know Katie Dickson, you won’t be surprised by the contents of this article. For those of you who don’t know her, get ready. Katie Dickson is a senior at Agnes Scott and is majoring in Women’s Studies and plans on pursuing teaching after graduation. Katie is the co-president of Pestle Board, so it’s only appropriate to interview her while she’s a little intoxicated. So I will share with you what went down, but first a little background information:

Class: 2018

Hometown: New Jersey

Favorite Pizza Topping: Broccoli and Chicken

Five words she used to describe herself: Funny, headstrong, opinionated, friendly, and indecisive (the last one is very true, it took her a long time to come up with those five words)

HC: What are some TV characters you think you are similar to?

Katie: Linda from Bob’s Burgers, Dee from Always Sunny in Philadelphia (I somewhat regret, but it’s accurate and it’s so sad), and Shawn from Psych (or a Shawn/Gus hybrid).

HC: What is the soundtrack of your life?

Katie:

Starting at birth – (Katie goes on to describe a very dramatic instrumental movie score and proceeds to say that the world “ain’t ready for all of this”)

Early Childhood – Early Rugrats theme song mixed with early 2000’s music, especially Britney Spears

High School – Entire playlist from Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist

College – (proceeds to say “Shots” by LMFAO, but says she’s kidding) Modern Baseball (the band) and the Moana soundtrack

Okay, now we’ll get into the good stuff…

HC: How did you get into Women’s Studies?

Katie: We were reading about women in the 50’s and the wave of feminism, and I was like this is it, this is what I want to do. My mom was like, “What?” And I was like, “I want to be angry about women, all the time.” Anyway, my mom didn’t think it was a job title, but I was determined to figure it out.

HC: Do you call yourself a feminist?

Katie: Yes. But I do realize by calling myself a feminist, it is much easier for me to say that than a lot of other people. For one, I’m American. I’m also a white woman. I think there is a certain privilege behind saying you’re a feminist, you have to understand where the term comes from. A lot of people who are proud to say they are feminists are white women who don’t fully understand it. It’s murky, but what isn’t murky?

HC: How does someone get into Katie Dickson’s heart?

Katie: It’s probably easier to get into my heart than get my trust. People make me nervous. Be an understanding, nice person who is funny and thinks I’m at least kinda funny.

Katie randomly: I want a Buttery Nipple (a drink). Why didn’t I order that? Instead, I got this shot of Jameson which is so big and I’m a little girl. And I have a big ass mouth, I can fit my entire fist into my mouth. (Katie would not let me take a picture of this, but please enjoy this one of her putting her whole mouth around the shot of Jameson)

Katie: “On the record, I am not an alcoholic.”

HC: What is the difference between the North and the South (United States)?

Katie: One of my favorite things to bring up when people ask me about the difference between the North and the South is to bring up an interview Anna Kendrick did with, I think, Jimmy Fallon. She said people in the South will say, “Hey, how are you?” and it’s very normal and very polite. In the North, we have a name for that. It’s called clinically insane and you avoid those people at all costs. So when I first came to Agnes, I thought every man was hitting on me.

(Katie sees pimento cheese on the menu and proceeds to go off): What the f*** is pimento cheese? Can someone in the South explain to me?? It’s cold! It’s like mayonnaise and cheese swirled in a jar!! You’re wrong. The first time I tried pimento cheese, someone told me to go get it out of the fridge. So I went and asked how long they wanted me to heat it up in the microwave. They said no and I said, “I don’t want it then.” If I have cheese dip, I want it to be motherf***** queso blanco b****.

HC: What are your feelings about being a middle child?

Katie: #middlechildsyndrome. You blame yourself for everything.

HC: Tell us your thoughts about food.

Katie: Food is awesome. I love food. You can do so much with food. I love watching those Tasty videos on Facebook where they’re like oh we got some chicken, we got some teriyaki sauce… let’s see what we’re going to do with it. And I’m like, “Shooowwww meeee.” Also, eating is great. Whoever says it’s not is an f***** liar.

HC: How do you feel about astrological signs?

Katie: I don’t know much about astrological signs other than my own. So when people are like, “I’m a Libra.” I don’t know what that means so I’m like cool you’re a Libra. But I’m a Gemini so I know why people hate us so much. People are like, “Oh you’re one of thoosseee.” And I’m like yeah b**** I am, get ready for the crazy. There is no such thing as a tame Gemini. We are always thinking about ourselves or something very, very close to it. And we’re always bored.

HC: For those of you who don’t know, Katie doesn’t like sauce. Can you explain why you don’t like sauce?

Katie: I don’t know. It’s just gross. I don’t like the taste or the texture or any of it. Main exception – garlic aioli.. *mwuah* that’s delicious.

HC: Do you think you were born in the right decade?

Katie: I think it’s really easy to romanticize other decades. Especially for white people, they are like “Ooo I want to live in the 50’s,” and it’s like… no, you don’t. But, I would have loved to be around in the 20’s to experience when flappers were around. Or being a part of the Nixon administration or being more aware during the Clinton administration. But I do believe you are born at a certain point for a reason and you are meant to be there.

HC: Thanks, Katie!

MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/