This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Recently, I’ve been seeing the choker trend everywhere. From celebrities to my classmates, I can’t escape this accessory. If you’re unaware of what the choker is, let me enlighten you. A choker is a type of necklace that is fitted specifically for your neck. Usually, it is worn in the middle of your neck and can be made from a variety of materials: plastic, cloth, leather, and even beads. The choker was a popular look back in the 90s and has now come back to claim its fame again. If I’ve learned anything from college thus far, it’s that experimentation is the way to live. I figured why not give in and try this out for myself: do I feel and look as cool as everyone else looks?!

I first started off by creating my own choker, so I used a simple black lanyard I had (first-years, you can use your handy purple lanyard.) I cut up the lanyard so that I only had the black ribbon to work with, I took the ribbon wrapped my neck around it and marked the points where the two pieces met.Then I took two pieces of velcro and attached it to the ends of the ribbon (one on the “front” and one in the “back”, so that when you wrap it they meet up.) Voila, I already felt like Martha Stewart!

Immediately putting the choker on, I was feeling myself! I kid you not, the choker gave me an instant reaction of being “cool” and “trendy.” I slowly realized that I am not in the right attire for this choker, (I was wearing pajamas) so I quickly got myself ready and threw on the comfiest and most stylish outfit I could put together.

Throughout the day, I received so many compliments on my choker! I didn’t realize how powerful one little accessory could be, and it made me feel so good! I was nonstop snapchatting myself and feeling like I discovered a new trend.

Go ahead and say it, I’m a bandwagoner. I couldn’t help it.You all have to try the choker trend out! There are a variety of chokers that can be worn for any occasion. Take a leap of faith and be bold! Catch me on campus wearing one.

Syedha Noreenia

Agnes Scott '19

(she/her/hers) is a senior Political Science major and a Business Management minor. Originally born in Brooklyn, New York, Syedha has been raised in Atlanta and proudly calls both cities home along with her parents' motherland of Pakistan. Through her degree, she believes in empowerment/representation and fighting for social justice through analyzing organizational behavior. She enjoys coming up with Instagram captions, infiltrating the system, and spending money that she doesn't have on food.
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/