Girl With Fringe Earings 2
Girl With Fringe Earings 2
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Obviously I am a huge nerd, and obviously I want as many people to know that as possible. Anyone who knows me at all will tell you that I love Harry Potter (while simultaneously disowning J.K. Rowling, for reasons best left to another article). Harry Potter means a lot to me, enough that I was ready and willing to have it tattooed forever on my body.

I’d already been browsing through Pinterest and listicles for a long time. Even when I found what I wanted, I waited for more than a year, to be absolutely sure that that was the design I wanted. After finding a trusted friend to come with me, I took the plunge.

I made an appointment at Kingdom Tattoo here in Decatur, just down the street from Agnes. They require clients to put down a non-refundable deposit when making appointments, so I knew there was no backing out. Fortunately, the design I wanted was so small that I only had to pay the shop minimum. I emailed the artist the design I wanted in advance, so that it would be ready when I came in. I also went to the store and bought the recommended aftercare products.

I was nervous when I arrived for my appointment, but excited. The tattoo artist, Levi, had made a stencil of the design, on translucent paper, so I could position it where I wanted it and get a feel for what it would look like. Traditionally, tattoos on your arms go facing down, so that other people can see the design or read the words. However, I wanted this to be a tattoo for me, something that I could see easily, so I opted to have the design facing me. I also noticed that the image was flipped. As much as I hate to be an inconvenience, this is something I’m going to have forever. Speaking up was hard, but I’m glad I did. Levi was very nice about it and went to make a new stencil. Image via Nicole Eatmon

After spending a seemingly long time sanitizing my wrist, shaving my wrist, and applying various creams, the stencil went on, and was applied with a wet cloth, just like a temporary tattoo. I gave my approval, but as soon as I heard the buzzing of the needle, my heart rate skyrocketed (my FitBit says I was in the “fat burn zone”). I was supposed to be keeping my arm still, but it was difficult because I was so nervous. Much to my surprise, it didn’t really hurt at all! The closest feeling I can compare it to is when you have a bug bite, and you scratch it raw. So sort of painful, but not intolerable at all.

Levi bandaged the tattoo and told me to keep it on for two hours, then wash it gently with antibacterial soap. My further instructions are to use a thin layer of Neosporin cream (cream! Not ointment!) 2-3 times a day for the next week or so, which is very manageable. Presumably. It doesn’t hurt at all now, and there’s barely any redness.

Everyone keeps referring to this as my first tattoo, but I’m pretty sure it’s also my last. I’m very happy with my decision, even if my parents might not be (hi mom!). Ultimately, there are plenty of marks and scars on my body that I wish weren’t there, so I have no problem with one, small tattoo. It’s always going to be associated with a positive memory, of both a book series I love (again, here’s hoping J.K. Rowling will shut up) and an afternoon spent with a friend. Even if I do now have a distinguishing mark that could place me at the scene of the crime.

Claire Romine

Agnes Scott '21

Claire Romine was born and raised in West Palm Beach, FL. She currently attends Agnes Scott College, as an English Literature and Political Science double major. Interests include yelling about Taylor Swift and reading terrible young adult novels.