Getting Lucky with the Class Selection

Class selection time is here again. It can be scary leaving next year’s class situation up to fate, but we have the scoop on how to make the best of it.

1. Meet with your adviser. You won’t be able to apply until you’ve done so anyways. Also, take the opportunity to discuss your future goals and courses you are considering (back-up plans included) so that they may help you figure out the perfect schedule to help you get there.
  2. Look into classes beforehand.  I don’t feel the need to tell you this Scotties because you are all so smart and on-top of things, but just in case!Look into classes so that you know if you have the necessary requirements to get in or that it is really what you want to take. 
  3. Write it all out. Writing course information all out helps you really keep things organized and visualize things better. You may even notice if times and courses overlap! 
  4. Make time for things  you enjoy. There is no need to schedule yourself through all meal times and in things you don’t enjoy. Take a fun or unique class to take a break from major requirements. Since we are a liberal arts school, there is a good chance this course will count for part of your core requirements.
  5. Don’t stress. If you don’t get in, it is OKAY. Go see the professor and introduce yourself. A name with a face and firm handshake is far better than an email complaining about not getting into a course. Most likely, they will allow you to either join the course (thanks to your go-getter attitude), sit in, or advise you to wait because people will inevitably drop and leave space for you to join. If not, it will likely be offered again at another time.
  6. Remember to have a life. I feel like I am preaching to the choir, but seriously, get outside sometime and do something other than school. You are in college, enjoy the freedom while you can! Get obligations done early and take advantage of any free moment that we busy Scotties get!

Grace Spurgin

Agnes Scott

Grace Spurgin is a freshman at Agnes Scott College in the great Decatur-Atlanta area, but born and raised in sunny Tampa, Florida. She is double majoring in International Relations and Political Science in hopes of one day studying International law. She is an active member in Colonnade Club, which deals with alumnae events and relations, and Programming Board for all school event planning. She is the founder of the Agnes Scott chapter for Her Campus. She loves to travel and try any new things; for example, she is a certified deep sea diver!