This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

The transition from in-person learning to online has been a challenge for everyone, especially if you thrive in a classroom setting like me. Your whole environment goes through a drastic change, suddenly you don’t get to see your friends, and you spend all your time indoors. It’s tempting to sleep in the extra hour and miss class altogether and let’s be honest, sometimes it happens. But in order to avoid another slip up like that, here are my five tips to help you stay motivated during online learning.

1. Have a separate workspace

I know it’s really tempting to wake up and work from your bed. But doing that, it’s super easy to go back to sleep. Something that helps me stay somewhat awake in class is to work at my desk. It forces me to get out of bed and sit upright. I notice that I can focus better and stay more engaged in class. You will also want to make sure that your workspace stays tidy and organized. It will be easier to stay focused on important work. 

2. Establish a morning routine

I know this sounds weird because you are not going anywhere. But I found by establishing a routine and getting ready as if I was going to school, my mornings feel more fulfilling. I feel like I finally have something to look forward to and it works as a great confidence booster as well. If you choose not to get ready fully, you should at least get out of bed, wash your face, fix your hair, and get dressed. 

3. Start journaling

Journaling is a fun way to write down ideas, get something off your mind, or even reflect on your day. There are hundreds of journal prompts you can look up and cute templates you can use. Take 5-10 minutes out of each day to write something down, whether that be what you dreamt about the night before or something that happened that day. 

4. Have a socially distanced study group session

We all miss not being able to hang out with our friends. By having a socially distanced study group, you will get your work done, and get a chance to see your friends safely. It’s best to meet in a big outdoor setting, like a park or even someone’s backyard. Make sure you follow your county’s guidelines and regulations, wear a mask, and stay at least 6 feet apart. If you’re not in the same area as your friends, do it on Zoom!

5. Stick to a schedule 

If you have time management issues, I suggest investing in a daily planner. This is an easy way for you to write down all your assignments, and plan out your day. You are visibly able to see all the work you need to do and that way you won’t fall behind on assignments. You can write down what time all your classes begin, and make time slots for studying. 

Of course everyone is different and you have to find what is right for you. I hope these tips help you out and good luck!

Ysabella George

Agnes Scott '24

My name is Ysabella. I prefer the name Bella and I use she/her/hers pronouns. I am originally from San Francisco, California and I plan on majoring in Business Management. Some hobbies I have include playing basketball, crochet, and photography.