This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Spring is officially here, which means festival season is upon us. It’s time to dance in the sun, wearing wildflowers in our hair. While Atlanta isn’t known for huge festivals such as; Coachella or Made in America, there are a few that you don’t want to miss.

Photo via Atlanta Dogwood Festival

Dogwood Festival

The Dogwood Festival has been a staple in Atlanta for over eighty years and it celebrates the blooming of the beautiful Dogwood trees. Hundreds of artists travel from all over the country to showcase their work at the festival. There is truly something for the whole family with music, food, and fun being at the forefront. It’s all about having a good time with your loved ones while enjoying the beautiful weather. The festival is located at Piedmont Park, and the dates are April 12th-14th. The festival is free and open to the public, and more information can be found on the website.

Photo via Sweet Auburn Springfest

Sweet Auburn Springfest

Known by locals as simply the “Sweet Auburn Fest”, it is one of the largest festivals in the Southeast. Live music is a huge part of the festival, and this year is no different with ten stages set up all within a mile and a half along Sweet Auburn Ave. Dozens of vendors selling everything from handmade jewelry, to food and games for kids can be found here. The historic neighborhood where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. lived and thrived is the backdrop of this festival, and that alone is a reason it’s a must-have event for the whole family. This festival is May 11th-12th which happens to be Mother’s Day Weekend, and it’s free and open to the public. All information can be located on the website.

Photo via Atlanta Jazz Festival

Atlanta Jazz Festival

Atlantans take their music very seriously which is why the “Atlanta Jazz Festival” brings thousands of people together annually. It started as a small event over forty years ago to showcase the best jazz musicians and has grown into one the country’s largest free jazz festivals. “31 Days of Jazz” kicks off the festival on May 1st showcasing talent around metro Atlanta,  along with “Neighborhood Jazz Series,” happening every weekend and comes to a close on Memorial Day weekend with the festival. You can experience live jazz performances, great food, and fun. The festival remains free and open to the public on May 25th-26th, at Piedmont Park. More information is located on the website.

There’s no need to travel far to get a taste of the festival season. Let your hair down and enjoy the festival season with some of the great festivals Atlanta has to offer.

Racquel is a graduate student at Agnes Scott College, majoring in Writing and Digital Communications. She holds a B.A. in Mass Media Arts from Clark Atlanta University. In her free time, you can catch her blogging about all things fashion and beauty related.