Culture > News

Everything You Need to Know About Georgia’s Upcoming Runoff Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Though the race for Georgia’s governor did not end in a much-anticipated runoff election, two other positions in the state did — secretary of state and public service commissioner for District 3. These races were not as high-profile as the gubernatorial race, but their results will still have a big impact on life in Georgia. In these two positions, neither party had a clear majority of the vote.

What are the responsibilities of these positions?

The public service commissioner oversees energy and telecommunications on behalf of consumers in their district. According to their website, their goal is for all of their constituents to have access to “safe, reliable, and reasonably priced” access to energy, both electric and natural gas, as well as telecommunications services. They approve providers that they feel are stable and well-run.

The most well-known duty of the Secretary of State is overseeing elections and voter registration, which has a huge impact on us as citizens of Georgia. However, they also oversee licensing and registration, the state market for stocks and bonds, public records, and claims against the state.

Who are the candidates?

If you are registered as a resident of our own Dekalb County or one of the surrounding counties, you’re eligible to vote in the race for public service commissioner.

Republican incumbent Chuck Eaton wants to focus on keeping rates low. He believes continuing current policies will grow business investment and jobs in Georgia. He also wants to encourage multiple power sources, support using power in off-peak times, and increase internet access in rural areas. Check out the “Issues” portion of his website for a more detailed breakdown of his values and ideas.

The Democratic candidate is Lindy Miller, who wants to focus on prioritizing her constituents. She wants to lower energy bills, especially for those struggling financially, by investing in more efficient and innovative energy. She also wants to create jobs in the growing energy economy and grow infrastructure to attract business investment in Georgia. The “What I’m Fighting For” section of her website has more detailed information.

For the Secretary of State race, there is no incumbent candidate. Democrat John Barrow wants to move the state to paper ballots to avoid hacking. He stresses his history of working across party lines as well as his commitment to representing Georgia citizens. His website has more information on his background, as well as a long list of endorsements.

Republican Brad Raffensperger has focused his campaign on making sure only legal citizens vote by strengthening voter ID practices and keeping lists of voters updated.He also encourages updating voting machines to paper ballots. You can read about his issues in his own words on the “On Issues” section of his website.

How do I vote?

The runoff election will be held December 4th. Early voting begins Monday, November 26th, and is available until November 30th. You can check your voter registration, find your polling place, and apply for an absentee ballot on the My Voter Page section of the Georgia Secretary of State website.  

Maya Gelting

Agnes Scott '22

Maya is a freshman at ASC. She currently plans to major in creative writing and minor in music (vocal performance). She loves traveling, reading and writing, cats, and chocolate.