This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

What hairstyle did you always want to try out but never had the guts to? Maybe you thought your parents would disapprove? College is the perfect time to experiment with your hair. When I was a freshman, there was one student everyone knew by name because of the bright turquoise hair they saw milling about on campus. As the years continued, more interesting hair styles and colors came about. One of my favorites was one student’s hair split down her middle part, the right half was black and the left was a dark blonde. Another favorite was a student with long, wavy bright pink hair resembling an anime character. But one of the most common hair styles among Scotties is the “Agnes Chop.”

At the start of each school year, I realized that more and more of my classmates started to get the pixie cut. It continues to be a favorite throughout the years. The ongoing joke is that once you get the haircut, you’re automatically labeled a lesbian.  Although this joke may sound quite stereotypical, Agnes Scott actually is known for its inclusive atmosphere and attracts many people of minority, including the LGBTQ+ community. This cut also comes in a range of colors, from natural blondes to bright apple reds. Every Scottie with the “Agnes Chop” makes it their own.

If I changed my hair drastically while at Agnes, I’d probably go with a mix of pastels of every color of the rainbow. It’s not the most professional look if I’m interviewing for a job, but college students get a pass. These next couple of years are our last time to have crazy hair, depending on the job we’re seeking in the future. It’s our time to have some fun with our look. More and more celebrities are cutting their hair pixie short. The trend recently blew up when Emma Watson chopped off her hair, followed closely by Anne Hathaway and a few others. Of course, the trend existed before them, but it wasn’t as widely known. Women of all sexualities at Agnes have been cutting their hair short for years. It’s amazing what other kinds of looks come about when parents aren’t around anymore. I hope these trends continue.

Share your hair with us on Instagram and tag it #agneschop so we can see!

Alexandra Barbar is an English Creative Writing major and an Agnes Scott College student, class of 2017. She was born and raised in Decatur, Georgia. You can usually find her listening to music or reading fiction. One of her biggest dreams is to become fluent in as many languages in the world as possible!