Bursting the Campus Social Bubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Social opportunities and “the college experience” are highly stressed in most students’ college selection process. However, there is a possibility of having the best of both worlds. You can get hands-on lessons in smaller settings, be a familiar face to classmates and professors, and be surrounded by women just like you, without the pressure of impressing or competing with the opposite sex. However, this “tailor made” education style does not have to cost you interaction with the outside world and the entire male race. You can achieve your own college experience, not necessarily the one in “Animal House” or “Greek”, and forget the bad reputation same-sex colleges have. Parties are a great place to meet people, network, and have fun outside of the “campus bubble.” Nevertheless, proceed with caution.

Here are some tips:

1. Leave your drama at home. This is an automatic reason to be kicked out. Other behaviors include: jealousy, neediness, arrogance, self-absorbance.

2. If the porch lights are off, no music, and no one in the yard, there is no party.

3. Walk up to the house with a confident attitude, shoulders back, and smile, making you appear to be more approachable. No one wants to invite an “Awkward Allie” into their party.

4. The Greeks will be outgoing and inviting if they would like for you and your friends to join the fun. If not, they will turn around and be standoffish (don’t enter that house).

5. Never agree to a “tour of the house” or a “refill in someone’s room” alone. This is a move pulled to try and get cozier.

6. Watch who pours the drinks and how they are made.

7. Don’t order around the pledges. You aren’t a member of the house and it’ll annoy everyone.

8. Be willing to meet and talk to as many people as possible. Don’t stand around in a circle.

9. Always use your manners. “Please” and “thank you” should be in your vocabulary, especially when you’re a guest.

10. Do not stay past 2:00 AM. If people are leaving or going to bed, leave. You’ll overstay your welcome and will appear to be looking for an “invitation to snuggle.”

11. As always, make sure you and your friends aren’t too impaired to take care of yourself and others. Be aware of your surroundings.

Whether you plan to meet people by party hopping or not, GET OFF CAMPUS. You can’t expect to meet people without leaving Agnes Scott College. Downtown Decatur, Georgia is within walking distance with many restaurants, bars, coffee shops and yoga studios. Grab a book and attend “Poetry Night” at Java Monkey. Sign up for meditation at the Kashi Ashram and relieve some stress. Hangout at Taco Mac during football season. Maybe ride MARTA into the city and explore Little 5 Points, Midtown, Downtown or Buckhead where there are countless opportunities to interact. Once a semester, the High Museum of Art offers “College Night” to all students within the greater Atlanta area. This event is a cultural occasion to network with other people while listening to music, dancing, and taking pictures in photo booths. Atlanta is the “hub” of the South and this trendy town extends hundreds of opportunities to expand your possibilities of connections and “college experience”.

Grace Spurgin

Agnes Scott

Grace Spurgin is a freshman at Agnes Scott College in the great Decatur-Atlanta area, but born and raised in sunny Tampa, Florida. She is double majoring in International Relations and Political Science in hopes of one day studying International law. She is an active member in Colonnade Club, which deals with alumnae events and relations, and Programming Board for all school event planning. She is the founder of the Agnes Scott chapter for Her Campus. She loves to travel and try any new things; for example, she is a certified deep sea diver!