This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

It is widely known that women in positions of power are deemed as bitchy, rude, and domineering.  Rarely are women of high statuses considered demanding or decisive and just strong in knowing what they want and how they want it – they are always viewed as emotional, catty, and a series of other .  After a recent chat with a mentor of mine, I developed a running list of ways to slice through the gray area of being bossy or bitchy.  First, it is important to recognize that neither are “bad” ways to be.  Lately, there has been a reclamation of the term ‘bossy’ and more people are seeing that it is perfectly fine to own your role as the boss and to lead proudly with your head held high.

1. It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.

I live and breathe by the statement “say what you mean and mean what you say”.  The way that you craft a question or a statement is more important than what you are actually attempting to convey.  For example, if you are dealing with a professor and an undesirable grade on a paper, saying “can you revisit my paper and regrade it” may not be as effective and yield the same results as saying “Professor X, I have reviewed your commentary and critiques on my paper.  I would like to sit with you and further discuss the grade I have received and possibly dispute it.”

2. You’ll never know if you don’t try.

One of my favorite movie quotes of all times is from the film A Cinderella Story: “Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.” Those words are so powerful because they essentially say that no matter what you think may happen and no matter what could happen, you can’t let possibilities, fears, or doubts steer you away from attempting to achieve your goals.  There are just as many possibilities of success and acceptance as there are possibilities of failure and rejection; so why not take that 50/50 shot?  Often, when men are faced with opportunity, they negotiate and compromise their way into getting exactly what they want.  As women, we should not be afraid to push for what we want.  All in all, ask for what you want, apply for what you want, and do not be scared of the odds.

3. Know Yourself

Like Drake – the Six God himself – said, you have to know yourself.  When people discredit you, undermine your authority, or do not take you seriously because of your gender and/or your race, do not forget your character, your values, your work ethic, and all of the wonderful things that make you, you.  Assert yourself and be proud of who you are and the journey that you took to get to where you are.

4. Don’t wear your heart on your sleeve

Regardless of being a strong female leader, people might still talk to you as they wish.  Be tough and do not let the rude, snide comments get under your skin.  Think of it like this: I intimidate them.  I confuse them.  I am on a level that they aren’t and in result of that, they try to tear me down.  Of course, you should not tolerate disrespect and anything that makes you uncomfortable, but just have a general understanding of where people’s distaste for strong women comes from.

Thumbnail

Summer Sanders is a junior majoring in her own self-designed course plan, Communications and Media Studies, and she is double minoring in Film and Media Studies and Africana Studies. Aside from being a contributing author for Her Campus, Summer is the Secretary of Judicial Board, the Vice President of Witkaze - Agnes Scott College’s Black Student Union. Plus, she is involved in the Black Power Book Club, Agnes Scott’s NAACP Chapter, Scotties For Change - a community service organization, and Screen Queens - a film club. Additionally, Summer writes for the entertainment section of Agnes Scott’s school newspaper entitled The Profile. In her spare time she enjoys babysitting, riding bikes, singing, and laughing with friends and family. Having studied abroad in Italy for an entire summer, Summer’s passions also include traveling, trying new foods, and meeting interesting people. Her post-graduate plans are to attend University of Southern California Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism to further her expertise. Ultimately, her aim is to become an international news anchor covering global sociopolitical, economic, and racial issues. Summer's favorite scripture is, " ‘For when I am weak, then I am strong' (2 Corinthians 12:10)".
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/