This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Times are tough and we’re all looking for the short escape of reality! Well, look no further! Here is my pick of my top five books I’ve read over the summer because coronavirus stopped me from leaving my house. Feel free to also read these books during this academic semester when you’re not busy with school work. I can guarantee these books will be a good distraction from the not so hot reality we’re all facing at the moment!

1. House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig 

House of Salt and Sorrows is a great read if you’re looking for supernatural elements. It’s a retelling of the old story of the 12 dancing princesses but it has more of a fascinating take on it. The story contains ghosts, gods, and a lot of symbolism and imagery with water. I definitely recommend this book if you’re looking for something different to read than your normal young adult novel. It can be a little bit creepy but not necessarily scary. The plot is also very good as there’s many twists that I didn’t anticipate!  

2. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella 

Confessions of a Shopaholic is a cult classic! I’ve never read the book before this summer but I have watched the movie in the past. The book is way better than the movie as it goes into details regarding the main character’s logic (Becky Bloomwood). Overall the plot is very funny and entertaining. Even if you don’t like shopping, the main character tends to be very relatable as in life she just wants to have nice things. 

3. The Book of Delights by Ross Gay 

The Book of Delights is a must-read! I definitely recommend reading this novel if you’re feeling a little bit more sad than usual or just want a pick me up. It’s as a title says, it’s just a bunch of essays by the author Ross Gay dictating the joys of life and the small mundane things that have happened to him. It’s nice to remember that you’re not alone and many people go through smaller similar problems as you. I had the delight of actually meeting the author and he just had a way with words. Reading this book will also give you an insight into his life and how living in America as a black man can have violence on the soul, but it’s also beautiful to remember the good things in life. 

4.The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

The Cruel Prince is a dark fairytale with a lot of twists and turns. This novel looks at fairies or in this case in the fae by well-known author Holly Black. She is quite known for taking inspiration from folklore regarding fairies then the mainstream media. These fairies aren’t your traditional Tinker Bell or the ones you’ve seen as a child, but ones that are much darker and seductive. The plot is also very fascinating and creepy. This novel is a great way to get introduced to Holly Black’s world of magic.  

5.Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

If you haven’t read Crazy Rich Asians yet this is the sign. I hadn’t read this book either but I decided during the summer to give it a shot. Even though the movie already came out last year. I was not disappointed, the amazing plot, the romance, all the points of views of the different characters, how you get to know their motives, etc. I just found it very fascinating and I was thrilled by the ending and all the twists that it took. It’s your not so traditional rags to riches story. 

If none of these books interest you, here’s a couple more suggestions: In the Woods by Tana French, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas, and Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I hope you check out these books and have a fun time reading! Hopefully, these books give you the escape from reality that they gave me. If you’re looking for more recommended reads, feel free to come back here and check out some of my other articles!

Annel Chavez

Agnes Scott '21

Annel Chavez is a student at Agnes Scott College. She's majoring in English Creative Writing with a minor in Spanish. She grew up in the Southside of Chicago and enjoys exploring her city when she can. Annel loves to read, write, draw, long walks, her dog, and anything that gets her creative mind going.