jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Things To Do in Atlanta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

So far my time in Atlanta has been great. I’ve had the opportunity to do so many different things, from exploring the Decatur square to wandering designer stores in Buckhead. My love for this city has grown exponentially. So I wanted to create a short list with a few of my favorite things to do in ATL.

1. Rocky Horror Picture Show @the Plaza

Every Friday night at midnight, Atlanta’s oldest running cinema, the Plaza, puts on a production of Rocky Horror Picture Show. Why do I call it a production? Because while they have the moving running they also have live actors acting it out simultaneously. Before the show begins, the theatre has a little comedy show and a raffle, in order to support the cinema. So you get a movie, play, and comedy show all in one. In my opinion the comedy show is the best part. The theatre is very familiar with Agnes Scott students so be prepared to have some jokes thrown at you, if you divulge you are a student here. Tickets are $15, which is steep. But as I said before, you get a movie, a play, and a comedy show, so it is well worth it. Also feel free to dress as crazy as you feel, as you can see from my pictures I went for the more traditional Rocky look.

2. High Museum of Art

If you feel the need to add a bit more culture into your life, the High is the place to do it. Filled with many collections of many different artists, it’s the perfect weekend activity. Also it is a great solo activity, if you want a little me time. The museum also has many special limited time exhibits. The most recent one I have attended is the Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors, which is being shown until February 17th and walk-up tickets are still being sold. If you can get tickets, I would highly recommend. I would recommend taking MARTA to the museum. .

3. Thrift/Consignment Stores

I know this is a really broad category, but there are so many good stores  that I can’t just pick one. For low, good prices and a well-sorted collection, I would recommend the Goodwill on Lawrenceville Highway. They are great for graphic tee shirts and their men’s section is usually filled with awesome pieces. If you are on the hunt for something name-brand and are willing to pay a higher price I would recommend Finders Keepers Boutique on North Decatur Road. This is the best place for shoes:  just yesterday I got a pair of brand new Adidas for $28. If you want more of an experience with cool storefronts and interesting people and clothes, I would recommend any of the thrift stores in Little Five Points. The neighborhood has a very hippie, free spirit vibe, but that being said the prices are a bit higher than your local Goodwill. This is a nice weekend spot and, if you also want to eat while you shop, there are so many cute restaurants in the area.

The lovely $28 Adidas shoes I found 

4. R. Thomas Grill

Any time of day,  R. Thomas Grill is the perfect place to chill and fill up on some delicious food. This 24-hour dinner serves health-focused food, with mainly vegetarian options. While the food is great, what really draws you in is the ambience. The entire seating area is tented. One day the owner decided he needed more room to create his food, so he threw all the tables and chairs outside. Another unique feature is many bird pets are in the restaurant (the owner is also a bird lover). It is such a fun and quirky spot, I would recommend this spot to anyone who finds themselves in the area.    

Julia King

Agnes Scott '22

Julia is a first-year at Agnes Scott, intending on majoring in Public Health and maybe Neuroscience. She grew up in Chicago and Albuquerque, New Mexico, but she would say she is from the Southwest. In her limited free time she likes to read, knit, watch beauty videos, and have tarot card readings with her friends.