This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

With all of the hype surrounding skin care and new products being released, it can be extremely overwhelming and confusing to try to figure out what you should be doing to achieve that “glass skin” that social media influencers are flaunting. There are many misconceptions and tips that are being spread around that may only end up damaging your skin in the long run. That being said, first and foremost, if you really want to know what you should be doing for your skin, seek a consultation with a professional to get advice. Though it can be pricey to make an appointment with one, they are the most qualified people to tell you about your skin, and should ultimately be worth it. In this article I will go over the products and routines I find to be most effective for my skin.

VY3DrzwqRmALC6TzXKcQXD8tSytKEN0ed2Uh0rOf3hk57qlxvpqHzlB4flF4ikU28VCJN QCm4DmiUoxdalXc5dDomNADtcvOlU2a4JDc

Photo by Charisse Kenion on Unsplash

First of all, a good skin cleanser is everything. Wash your face morning and night with a cleanser tailored to your skin’s needs. Different cleansers will work for different people depending on your skin type. Using makeup wipes before cleaning your face makes a huge difference. It is a lot less likely to have excess dirt and makeup leftover after cleansing if you take a few extra seconds to wipe the makeup and dirt off your face. An esthetician I follow on Twitter (@LaBeautyologist) highly suggests that you rub in your cleanser for 60 seconds with your hands, rather than with a brush. Why 60 seconds? Because that’s how long it takes for the product to soften the skin and dissolve sebum blockages. Before I found this rule, I realized that my laziness and wanting to simply get cleaning my face over with was doing myself a disservice. Using this #60secondrule is bound to result in clear, even, and healthy skin. If you are interested in double-cleansing, it is recommended that you clean your skin once with an oil based cleanser, then use a water based cleanser afterwards. The oil cleanser is to remove dirt, makeup, and oil, and the water based cleanser removes whatever is left. Each cleanser can be used either 60 seconds each or half and half (30 seconds each.) Not convinced yet? Well, Chloe Metzger of Cosmopolitan magazine tried it and had this to say. 

Next, I love using toners. Toners are made to clean excess dirt, reduce appearance of pores, and to correct the PH Balance of the skin. They also serve as preparation for products that you use after you wash your face, such as moisturizers. I rub my toner into my skin using a cotton pad after cleansing. While this is an optional step, I personally love using my toner. I prefer ones made with Witch Hazel, but once again, the more personalized the product is to your skin’s needs, the better. If you have dry skin, Rosewater and Vitamin E are suggested to hydrate the skin. If you have oily skin, Tea Tree Oil is used to fight oil and bacteria. If you have sensitive or irritated skin, Chamomile may be used to soothe it. These are just a few of the many variations of toners.

Finally, it is critical that you do not forget to moisturize. It is a great bonus if it also has SPF in it. If not I highly recommend finding a good sunscreen to add to your skincare routine as well, especially during the summer and from 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm, when the sun’s rays are said to be the strongest. Though there is a misconception that if you have oily skin, you do not need to moisturize, everyone should invest in a good moisturizer regardless of their skin type. There are so many moisturizers for all skin types that there has to be one out there that works for you! I would also recommend using sheet masks for hydration after you use your moisturizer. They are super convenient and do my skin justice! They are so much neater to work with than clay masks and work just as well. I definitely recommend stocking up on some sheet masks if you get the chance to. They will not disappoint!

Hopefully, these tips will be helpful for you! Along with these products, you should also be taking care of your physical health by eating nutritious foods and drinking plenty of water. Taking care of these basic health related needs can be more effective than any product you can use!

Brianna Walton

Agnes Scott '21

Brianna graduated from Agnes Scott College in 2021 with a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Business Management. She has a passion for social justice issues, self-care, and self-expression via writing. Her favorite things to do are listen to music, draw, talk to friends, and take long walks in nature. She is currently working as a digital marketer and freelance social media manager.