books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
Culture > News

Author John Green is Coming to Decatur on Book Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

This fall break, Decatur’s own Little Shop of Stories will play host to one of teen literature’s most beloved novelists, John Green as he gives an author talk on his latest novel, Turtles All the Way Down”. Green is the author of popular books-turned-movies like “The Fault in Our Stars” and “Paper Towns”. “The Fault in Our Stars” has sold more than 1.8 million copies, and the film adaptation, starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort, was a box office blockbuster. “Turtles All the Way Down”, is his first in five years and will be released on October 10th. His book talk will take place this Saturday, October 14th at Agnes Scott College’s Presser Hall. Doors will open at 6 p.m.

Image: Penguin Random House

“Turtles All the Way Down” is about a sixteen-year-old girl who finds herself involved with a fugitive and a cash prize. Despite this odd premise, Green has said that the book is his attempt to write about his own struggles with mental illness and, while fictional, it is an inherently personal story.

To promote the book, John and his brother Hank Green will be touring the country for five weeks, going everywhere from New York City to Seattle. Though Hank will not be present at Agnes, a “special guest” will be, according to Green’s website. The Decatur stop is early on a tour that is almost entirely sold out across the country, including Georgia. Scotties had the opportunity to claim fifteen complimentary tickets, but they were claimed almost immediately.

The price of a ticket comes with an autographed copy of Green’s new book courtesy of Little Shop of Stories. The event itself will involve a “multimedia presentation” that will include songs and a Q&A with the audience. First-year Samantha Barrera says, “I’m excited to see him since I’ve always looked up to him. It’s a weird coincidence that he’s coming to Agnes the same year we did.”

Thumbnail Image: Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia Commons

Claire Romine

Agnes Scott '21

Claire Romine was born and raised in West Palm Beach, FL. She currently attends Agnes Scott College, as an English Literature and Political Science double major. Interests include yelling about Taylor Swift and reading terrible young adult novels.
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/