This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

With Journeys just around the corner, Agnes Scott is full of excitement and pre-travel stress. Preparing for a trip is always crazy, even more so when it is one that has been anticipated for so long. This one certainly crept up on me! It always seemed so far away, but now it’s less than a week until departure. With this in mind, here are 9 things to keep in mind when packing for Journeys to make sure that you are prepared and can enjoy your trip with peace of mind.

1. An adaptor

Many countries do not have the same plug configuration as the United States, so you’ll need an adaptor to charge your phone and other devices. Make sure you also check the voltage used at your destination to keep your phone safe.  

2. Your passport

This one should be obvious, but that doesn’t mean it’s not important. If you’re leaving the U.S. for Journeys, you’ll need your passport. Make sure to keep it somewhere safe during your trip. If you lose it, you won’t be able to return to the U.S. If your trip is not international, make sure to bring an I.D.

3. Your meds

Since a trip can be a high-stress environment and you probably won’t have access to a pharmacy, it is an especially bad time to go off of any medicines you normally take. Check that you have enough for your whole trip and a few extra, just in case. If not, renew them as soon as you can so you can pick them up before the trip. Bring any prescriptions you have in an original bottle. You many want to consider bringing some over-the-counter meds, like painkillers, in case of cramps or other issues. Speaking of cramps…

4. Period supplies

If you may be on your period during the trip, make sure you have everything you need to deal with it. Whether you use pads, tampons, or a menstrual cup, you don’t want not being prepared for your period to get in the way of your trip.

5. A purse or small bag

You might want to bring your backpack on the plane as a personal item for extra space. However, if you don’t want to carry it around all day, pack a smaller bag inside it for convenience during your trip.

6. Your phone

Make sure you know if your cell phone plan covers overseas calling and texting. You don’t want to accidentally incur fees or be stranded without a way to contact someone. If your plan does not cover international calls, the Center for Global Learning can check one out to you for use in emergencies. You also may want to consider downloading WhatsApp to make communication easier.

7. Comfortable shoes

Since you’ll probably be walking a lot, make sure the shoes you bring are functional and can be worn comfortably for a long time. If you bought new shoes for Journeys, make sure you break them in before the trip to avoid blisters.

8. Clothes, duh!

It’s obvious that you’ll need clothes on your trip. What may be more difficult is packing everything you need in a small suitcase. Consider bringing pieces that can be used in more that one outfit to save space. If you need warm coats or bulky clothes, wear them on the plane. You can always use them as a pillow during the flight. Roll up clothes or use packing cubes to fit everything. Check the weather for the week of your trip to make sure you’re prepared.

9. Common sense

Have fun, but remember that being a tourist can make you a target if you’re not careful. This is especially true if you are visiting a city. Stay alert, keep your valuables in sight and on the front of your body, and stay with the group. Do not carry large amounts of cash with you; only take what you need for that day. While it is unlikely that anything dangerous or extreme will happen, it is important to take precautions to keep yourself safe. Getting your wallet stolen would certainly put a damper on your Journeys experience!

Bonus tip: Make sure you know the security rules, carry-on limitations, and restrictions on liquids and gels for your airline. Though these rules are pretty consistent, they can be slightly different between airlines. The airline’s website is a great resource, especially if you’ve never flown before or are confused about what you can and can’t bring.

Maya Gelting

Agnes Scott '22

Maya is a freshman at ASC. She currently plans to major in creative writing and minor in music (vocal performance). She loves traveling, reading and writing, cats, and chocolate.