7 All-Time Halloween Movie Classics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

So, it’s October, which basically means that it’s Halloween. Sure, it may be too early to say it but a little spirit won’t do any harm. Here is a list of 7 movies, shows, and specials that are sure to get you in the Halloween spirit (I highly recommend avoiding the urge to binge watch everything in one go.):

Stranger Things

This Netflix original series has everyone hyped up and on the edge of their couches wanting more. This sci-fi series brings viewers back to the 80’s and gives them a taste of the supernatural. Hop on the bandwagon and join Eleven, Lucas, Dustin and Mike as they uncover the secrets that haunt their town and families.

Halloweentown Series

We have all wanted to be Marnie Piper. I mean come on, her grandma, Aggie Cromwell, was she not the coolest grandma out there? Learn what creatures lurk through Halloweentown; you may stumble upon a warlock, a gremlin, an elf, and who knows how many more mystical creatures., The Halloweentown Series is an ultimate Disney classic to watch especially seeing Marnie as she discovers secrets that affect her family.

Casper’s Halloween Special (1979)

We all may know the Snapchat ghost, but the original ghost was definitely Casper the Friendly Ghost. In this episode, Casper’s identity is at risk as he attempts to dress as a real human to go trick-or-treating. Casper’s heartwarming personality is one to definitely see again in a spooky holiday.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Is it really October if you haven’t watched a Charlie Brown special? While you’re prepping for Halloween, might as well join the Peanuts gang as they prepare for Halloween. If you’re hitting up the pumpkin patch and need some inspiration on what to look for and how to do it, just observe Linus and Lucy as they set out to find a pumpkin in the first few minutes of the episode!

Twitches Series

Don’t get me wrong, twins are great but twin witches are even better. Watch the infamous twin sisters, Tia and Tamera, use their undiscovered magical powers to save their kingdom from dark powers that lurk through their lives. Not only does this Disney Channel Original Movie set the perfect Fall-Halloween mood, but it also shows the importance of love and family bonds!

Hocus Pocus

Along the same lines of family and witches, one has to include the three Sanderson sisters: Winnie, Mary and Sarah in the ultimate Halloween movie marathon! These three witches are never up to good but their ongoing terror is soon to come to an end. How? You’ll just have to watch and see.

The Haunted Mansion

Anything that has Eddie Murphy in it you just know is gonna be a good time. If you’re not into serious halloween movies or prefer comic relief, then The Haunted Mansion is a perfect movie for you. While Murphy and his family try to escape from the Haunted Mansion they have stumbled upon, Murphy learns a lesson about the importance of surrounding yourself with family.

There are so many more movies, shows and specials that truly make up the Halloween spirit. For example, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody episode “The Ghost in Suite 613” or even the classic Addams Family; we can all relate to Morticia. For example, for my people who love to wear the color black regardless of how hot it is outside, you and I are on the same boat as Morticia. Snuggle up in the lounge or on your bed and watch some Halloween classics!

Syedha Noreenia

Agnes Scott '19

(she/her/hers) is a senior Political Science major and a Business Management minor. Originally born in Brooklyn, New York, Syedha has been raised in Atlanta and proudly calls both cities home along with her parents' motherland of Pakistan. Through her degree, she believes in empowerment/representation and fighting for social justice through analyzing organizational behavior. She enjoys coming up with Instagram captions, infiltrating the system, and spending money that she doesn't have on food.
Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.