This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Affirmations are powerful statements that allow you to reshape your thinking. Affirmations constructed with care and intention have the most impact. The goals for creating affirmations change from person-to-person. 

After I wake up every morning, I write down a few affirmations to start my days with a positive mindset. Sometimes, I have bad days that aren’t as productive as others. I still journal to avoid blaming myself. As a college student, affirmations help me stay aligned with my goals.

You can make your own affirmations in two steps: 1) Speak about specific goals or things you want to do, have or think. 2) Start with “I am” statements in the present tense. These steps will help you visualize the outcome. The more personal they are to you, the stronger they will be. When you finally have your personalized affirmations, repeat them everyday, whether that’s in the mirror or in a journal. The power of manifestation is real!

Don’t worry if you can’t think of any right now. Here are 30 affirmations you can start with for any situation:

Negative Thoughts?

1. My thoughts become reality.
  2. I love myself.
  3. I am free of worry. I release regret. 
  4. I free myself from the shackles of self-doubt.
  5. My body and feelings are valid and real. It’s okay to feel, and it’s okay to let go and heal. 

Feeling Emotional?

1. I admit when I make a mistake.
  2. I forgive myself for mistakes.
  3. I am allowed to learn from my mistakes.
  4. I can express my anger in a respectful way.
  5. Stop, relax, and think before you act.
  6. I am in control of what I do next.  
  7. I had the power to regulate my emotions.
  8. My anxiety is under my control.
  9. Clarity of mind is available to me. 

Need Balance?

1. Everyone’s journey is different
  2. I accept that everything that belongs in my life is coming toward me.
  3. Persistence, Patience, Perseverance.
  4. I am in harmony with my universe.
  5. SUCCESS: 
  6. See your goal. 
  7. Understand the obstacles. 
  8. Create a positive outlook. 
  9. Clear self-doubt. 
  10. Embrace the challenge. 
  11. Stay on track. 
  12. Show you can do it.

Productivity?

1. I possess the qualities to find solutions. 
  2. I have the discipline to stay on track. 
  3. I use my time wisely. 
  4. I will accomplish my tasks today.
  5. I give myself permission to relax and take breaks when I absolutely need it.

Starting and Ending Your Day?

1. Today is going to be a good day.
  2. I did my best today, and I am willing to forgive the rest. 
  3. I am grateful for today.
  4. I look forward to tomorrow and know it will be a better day.
  5. I feel peace.
  6. I give myself permission to enter a state of deep and restful sleep  
A'Lyah Releford

Agnes Scott '23

A'Lyah Releford is a second-year English Literature - Creative Writing undergraduate at Agnes Scott College. Currently, she is working on poetry and short story fiction. Her future career plans are to be a published author and award-winning screenwriter.