Screen Shot 2020 03 05 at 101008 AM?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Screen Shot 2020 03 05 at 101008 AM?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
I Want Proof
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

The natural hair movement has gained a new wave of followers as more women and discarding relaxers and embracing their natural kinks and curls. Natural hair can be defined as simply hair free from chemicals. There are even festivals dedicated to natural hair such as “Curlfest”, “The Bronner Brother’s International Hair Show”, and “Talia Waajid’s World Natural Hair and Lifestyle Event”, just to name a few. Essence Music Festival has seen the need to have a segment dedicated to natural hair. Let’s talk about products as we explore some cult favorites that many naturalistas live by. 

Shea Moisture’s: Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Treatment Masque 

Affectionately called JBCO, it’s been a bestseller for years and one of the most reviewed products by bloggers within the natural hair community. JBCO is a deep conditioner that used after shampooing, and you may use it without heat from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. It’s restorative properties nourish dry, brittle, damaged, and color-treated hair. Its key ingredients include Jamaican black castor oil, shea butter, peppermint, and apple cider vinegar. Jamaican black castor oil is packed with proteins and minerals to nourish the hair.  Shea butter moisturizes and conditions the scalp. Peppermint cools and gives the scalp a tingle for a cooling experience. Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural detox for hair removing toxins. Give it a try and find it online here

Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla 4 in 1 Combing Creme

Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla 4 in 1 Combing Creme is a detangling cream that is using after shampooing and conditioning hair. The sweet, yet warm scent of black vanilla is a party for the senses that makes you immediately fall in love with it. It deeply moisturizes, adds shine, controls frizz, and untangles. Combing through wet hair can be very hard but using this product makes it super easy.  Key ingredients are sweet almond oil and keratin which gives hair a lightweight shine without it being too oily. This item can be found in stores and online here

Curls: Blueberry Twist-N- Shout Cream

Let me start by saying the “Blueberry Bliss Collection” by Curls is completely amazing, with every product targeting a different hair need. Blueberries are great for increasing hair growth, are natural antioxidants and they smell wonderful. This creamy product is used for braids and twist outs. It defines the hair, adds moisture that’s long-lasting, and a little bit of product truly goes a long way. The key to achieving a great style with this product is to let the hair completely dry before taking down a twist out. This product can be found in stores and online.

All of these products are under $20 and can be found wherever health and beauty products are sold and online. More and more cult favorites are being highlighted and new products are being released at an alarming rate. Have fun and try some great products to see what works for your hair.

Racquel is a graduate student at Agnes Scott College, majoring in Writing and Digital Communications. She holds a B.A. in Mass Media Arts from Clark Atlanta University. In her free time, you can catch her blogging about all things fashion and beauty related.