etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What You’ll Learn Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

When people think of studying abroad sometimes they think it’s just a vacation for four months but it’s not true. It’s so much more than that, you’ll learn so much about yourself and you’ll find yourself changed in so many ways when you come back home. So here’s what you’ll learn when you’re in a different country.

Independence

You will learn to be truly independent. I don’t know about you but I chose my school so that I was close enough to go home when I felt like it. I’m always able to go home to my family on the weekends and have them help me with whatever problems I’m having and it’s great, I’m so grateful to come from such a close-knit family.

Even though I missed my family while I was in France, learning to do things completely on my own was something that I didn’t know I needed. The time difference makes it impossible to call anyone consistantly so you have to rely solely on yourself to make decisions. You need to plan your own trips, get your own medecin if you’re sick, and deal with all your own problems.

Patience

Europe runs on a different schedule than the U.S. does…and it’s much slower. Being from New York, I’m used to a very go-go-go lifestyle, but Europe isn’t like that. Everything moves at a much slower pace, restaurants aren’t trying to push you out after you’ve finished eating, instead you better block off at least an hour for lunch, probably two for dinner. Meals are a social occasion there and the waiters aren’t relying on tips so everything is much more relaxed.

If you’re from New York, walking is something that will be hard. That sounds so weird but I had to learn how to walk slower and be patient with all the people around me walking at a speed that I can’t even fathom.

Compassion

Studying abroad expands your mind because you’re in a new culture. Seeing all the different ways that people do them and understanding why makes you reevaluate how you see differences back home. Being the one that doesn’t speak the language and is trying so hard is an eye-opening experience.

I have so much respect for people who come here and learn english. When people were mocking the way that Melania Trump spoke, I could only have compassion for her because it’s hard to express your thoughts when it’s not your first language.

To Take Chances

Studying abroad is all about taking chances. You’re taking a chance and being adventerous just by going to another country across an ocean! (So cheers to you!!) You will have to travel either alone or with people that you just met. You’ll be going to places you’ve never been where you don’t speak the language.

You’re going to be going to restaurants and reading menus and then just picking something because you can’t really understand everything…and you what, you’ll try some of the best food you’ve ever tasted. So take a chance and get on that plane.

You’ll find yourself

You’ll find yourself when you’re abroad, somewhere between sitting in coffee shops and people watching and running for the plane you’re about to miss. You’ll realize what you like and don’t like and where your priorities are. You’re not with people that have known you forever, instead you can be exactly who you are and not fall into old patterns.

You are so reliant on just yourself that you’re going to trust yourself. When you’re traveling, those two hour flights will be just you and your thoughts (since we’re all too cheap to pay the extra 20 euro to pick your seat). Walking all over cities will keep you off your phone and open to the world around you. The best part of studying abroad is learning about yourself and really finding yourself.

So go!! Find a way to study abroad and have the best four months of your life!!

I am currently studying at Adelphi University. I am an International Studies major and a senior. My passions are traveling, languages, reading and wine, so drink up while you're reading my articles (21 and over of course).