brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What’s Wrong With Social Media Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

What was once created with pure intentions— to share some of life’s greatest moments with friends and family— has become a powerful platform where people can rally together, share their stories and utilize their voices. It has also become a place where we almost obsessively overthink about small things. The way we use and view social media today is SO important to recognize. We place so much value in a like or a follow and read into things WAY too much.

I remember being in high school and growing accustomed to the “if he has a girlfriend, don’t follow him; like his photos; or message him on social media” mentality because I knew that that was something that some people took seriously. I also remember people on the other hand who— if someone’s boyfriend liked their photo or followed them— would immediately turn to their group chats and saying things like “oh her boyfriend liked my picture (/followed me), I know she must be mad”. This toxic mentality  is not healthy or normal. People, whether they are in relationships or not, should have the freedom to follow whoever they want or like whoever’s pictures as long as they are being respectful to their partner and their feelings of course.

A lot of people have also become too concerned with the amount of likes they receive or the amount of followers they have. Yes— I can admit that it is nice to get a lot of likes on instagram but it shouldn’t be becoming a competition of who can get the most likes or “can I get more likes than I did on my last post?” I think it is important to recognize the almost obsessive behavior and the fact that a lot of us aren’t even posting for the memories, we’re posting for the aesthetic, or for the likes. And no, that does not mean that you are posting for validation. BUT, I do think this is important to highlight because trying to paint this “picture perfect” lifestyle on social media can create some level of stress in your life and maybe it’s unknowingly creating those pressures or stresses in yours.

If you feel like you’re one of those people that has come to place more value in your likes and follows than necessary, that’s okay. I can admit that I have done the same at several points, but I’ve tried to gear my social media towards moments that have made me happy. And as for those who read too much into a like or a follow, please, knock it off. People already have enough stress in their lives and social media is supposed to provide a fun way to interact with your friends, family, and peers, not give them another thing to stress about. Rather than spending most of your time scrolling through instagram and looking longingly at everyone else’s posts, go out and make your own memories. Keep social media positive and keep social media happy.

xoxo,

Alliah ♡

Hi, I'm Alliah! I'm currently Senior Social Work major at Adelphi University. 9/10 times you'll catch me with a good book and some coffee or tea, watching Netflix, or on Pinterest planning out the rest of my life.