This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

It’s been a wild week for everyone. The Patriots pulled off the greatest comeback story of all time, the plot for the second season of Stranger Things was revealed, and George and Amal Clooney announced that they’re having twins. In the political sphere, the week was even more hectic, with several key events happening within Mr. Trump’s administration. With this many rapid and drastic changes happening at once, it can be very easy to get overwhelmed. Here’s a (condensed) rundown of all the political happenings of the week to keep you informed.

• Betsy DeVos was confirmed as Secretary of Education

Betsy DeVos, Trump’s pick for Secretary of Education, was confirmed for the position by the U.S. Senate on Tuesday night. After two republican senators crossed the aisle to vote against DeVos and create a tie vote, Mike Pence was brought in as a tiebreaker in a historic first. You probably heard or saw quite a bit about DeVos’ confirmation hearings on the news and online; the infamous sessions include DeVos’ admission that she has no experience in public education or the student loan process, she decision that guns should be allowed on school campuses to protect against grizzly bear attacks, and the admission that it is “possible” that her family donated over $200 million to members of the Republican party.

The fun (and we’re using fun very, very lightly here) didn’t end after DeVos’ confirmation. After her first day in office, the Secretary tweeted “Day 1 on the job is done, but we’re only getting started. Now where do I find the pencils? :)” which did not go over well with the public. Tweets began pouring in criticizing the question, with notable responses explaining that DeVos should buy them herself, like most public educators who purchase their own supplies due to lack of federal funding. On Friday, protesters blocked DeVos from entering a public middle school in Washington D.C., where she was scheduled to meet with teachers and administrators. Protesters repeatedly shouted “Shame!” at the Secretary, blocking the entrance of the school and holding “Black Lives Matter” signs. The Secretary got back into her vehicle, which was further blocked by protesters, and eventually entered the building through another entrance.  In a hilarious skit guest starring Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer, Kate McKinnon perfectly portrayed DeVos’ questionable, alarming publc statements in a way that almost made us forget that this woman will actually be in charge of the public education system.

• Elizabeth Warren was Told to Take her Seat

Tuesday night, senate democrats attempted to block the vote for Trump’s pick for Attorney General (after he fired Sally Yates for refusing to follow his travel ban executive order, but we digress) Jeff Sessions. Sessions was blocked from a federal judgeship in 1986 due to allegations of discriminatory and racist practices. Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren held the floor late on Tuesday night, where she read a letter from Coretta Scott King regarding the Alabama senator’s racist actions. As she was reading, majority leader Mitch McConnell led a motion to silence Warren on the floor. The motion was passed by a majority vote, citing a senate rule that effectively bars negative speech from one senator toward another, allowing McConnell to silence Warren. Despite Warren’s protest that she was merely quoting a letter directly about Sessions, she was forced to take her seat. Warren tweeted her discontent later, saying that she would refuse to be complacent. McConnell gave a statement that has since become an iconic quote in support of Warren and the Democratic party, “She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.”

Despite the Democrat’s effort to block, a 52-47 vote confirmed Sessions as Attorney General on Wednesday afternoon. Footage of the event can be watched here

• Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz Duked it out Over Health Care

Yep, we’re still only on Tuesday. In fact, this article was going to a breakdown of just Tuesday’s political news, before several key announcements were made later in the week. That evening, the often overlooked issue of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) was addressed at length in a CNN town hall debate between senators Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz, moderated by CNN anchors Jake Tapper and Dana Bash. (While the debate is heavily discussed, little screen-time was actually devoted to the topic during the 2016 election season.) The debate allowed concerned Americans to ask the opposing senators about their party’s ideas for reform and how those ideas will affect their plans. Ted Cruz, awkward as ever, danced around questions and cracked jokes whenever he could, but it was not enough to distract from the fact that most of those concerned Americans already know; the Republicans have yet to come up with a suitable second half of their “repeal and replace” mantra. Sanders was as brash as ever, criticizing Republican rhetoric and even town hall participants who voiced their concerns over not providing healthcare to their employees. The debate was ended with Cruz’s now infamous closing statement; in an effort to make a humorous connection between pop culture and government issues, Cruz quoted a well-known Saturday Night Live sketch with Christopher Walken. “MORE COWBELL! MORE COWBELL!” the senator proclaimed, “It was government control is what messed this all up. And Bernie and the Democrats’ solution is MORE COWBELL, MORE COWBELL!” If you want to watch the original sketch and/or Cruz’s statement, you can find them here and here.

• The Dakota Access Pipeline has been Approved by the Army Corps of Engineers

Despite tireless efforts from protesters (called “water protectors”) at Standing Rock, North Dakota to halt the production of this potentially detrimental pipeline that will carry crude oil to Illinois, the Trump administration has pushed the project forward. The proposed pipeline, originally designed to cut through a predominantly white area and rerouted for safety concerns, has since been redrawn to go through Sioux reservation territory, threatening to poison the only water supply available to the Sioux people. The victory felt when President Obama announced the project halt and environmental analysis late last year has been all but erased. Protesters have been shot with rubber bullets, doused with water hoses in freezing temperatures, and accosted by police officers at the site. Despite Obama’s decision, the Trump administration has decided to pursue the project anyway, explaining that the pipeline can create thousands of jobs and help stabilize the economy.

• Trump’s Travel/Immigration Ban Has Been Shot Down

Finally, some good news in this dreary, frankly terrifying political week! On Thursday, after swirling controversies, the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals heard arguments on the travel ban executive order, signed by Trump a few weeks ago. The ban was originally suspended by a federal judge, citing its broad rhetoric and lack of limitations as being unconstitutional. The ban called for the temporary suspension of travelers entering the United States from seven Middle Eastern countries, as well as indefinitely banning Syrian travelers and refugees. The clause stating that citizens of these countries that practice the Christian faith will receive precedence in the screening process has given fuel to the argument that the ban is discriminatory against those of Muslim faith. Trump touts the argument that the ban promoted national security, despite there being no record of terrorist activity in America originating from those seven countries. After the court ruling, Trump tweeted “SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!” Considering it was a court that gave the ruling in the first place, memes relating to the tweet have erupted in popularity.  

Of course there is always some kind of story brewing in Washington about this story. With the rapidity of news emerging from the actions of the new administration, it is so easy to find yourself outdated and out of the loop. We hope this week’s rundown helps you feel ahead, and keep your eyes peeled for the latest stories of the upcoming week.

Hi, I'm Alexis! I'm a senior Communications major with a journalism concentration, and I'm an editor and campus co-coordinator for our Adelphi chapter of Her Campus! After graduating, I hope to write for news organizations that cover important social and humanitarian issues in our political sphere and in the global community. Other than writing, I enjoy reading, napping, and sightseeing. One fun fact about me is that I'm left-handed, which means I'm more likely to become President! I mainly write political content relating to the most current issues facing our country and the world.