Travel Tips: Bangkok’s Top 5 Must-Do’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

I traveled to Thailand in the beginning of the summer and it was mesmerizing. I don’t know if it’s the inner explorer in me or if it is just my ever growing thirst for travel that helped me have such an authentic experience.  What is the point of experiencing things if you can’t share it with others? Therefore, I have decided to write about the places and things you must see and do while in Bangkok, Thailand.

1. EAT STREET FOOD/ TRY OUT INTERNATIONAL PUBS

The first thing I craved when I landed in Bangkok was the legitimate Thai food you get in the local food shacks. Since my hotel was located in Sukumvit Soi 11, the food street was only a few blocks away from me. Soi 3 is the hub for all sorts of food. Starting from Pad Thai to Skewed meats, the street had it all.

As for international pubs, my hotel flanked two famous bars – an Austrian bar and a German bar. The different types of drinks and cocktails you get there are very exotic. Also, in case you’re wondering, the drinking age in Thailand is 20 so I was legal to try out all these places.

2. VISIT THE RECLINING BUDDHA AND THE GRAND PALACE

My second day at Thailand was dedicated to touring the city. If you’re deciding to go to Bangkok, I highly recommend tying up with a group tour. You not only get to meet new people, but you also have a tour guide and a vehicle that takes you to all the iconic places. The Reclining Buddha is located in Wat Pho, which is a 10-minute walk from the Grand Palace. The Buddha is 150 feet long, and is made of pure gold. It is definitely something to see.

The Grand Palace was house to the King of Thailand. Since the complex is huge, a certain section is open for the public eye, while the rest of it is closed off as the private residence of the present King Rama IX.

3. GO TO SAFARI WORLD

Safari World was a treat. If you love animals and wildlife, I highly recommend this place to you. We started off the Safari tour in a van. We crossed animals like giraffes, zebras, rhinos, and deers. Then we ventured into the “Dangerous Animals” section where we saw tigers, lions, white tigers, bears, and crocodiles. After that, we visited a bunch of shows. The shows started off with an Orangutan wrestling comedy, followed by a bird show, then a spy show, then a Sea Lion show, then a Dolphin show, and lastly an Elephant dance show. The Safari World exhibit also had a lot of shacks that sold cold beverages and snacks for a hot summer day.

4. SHOP, SHOP, and SHOP

Bangkok is known to be the best place to shop. No matter what your budget is, you’ll find a place that will fit your needs. If you’re into the branded stuff, you should visit Siam Paragon that is house to stores like Fendi, Gucci, Prada, Marc Jacobs, Versace, etc. If you’re into the hip styles but don’t particularly care for the brand, you should go to MBK Mall and Platinum Mall. MBK and Platinum have stalls inside a huge Air Conditioned complex. From colorful bags to yeezy knock offs, these places have everything under the sun. Asiatique Riverfront is a place to visit at night. It is located near the waterfront and has boat rides. There are a bunch of shops there along with lots of restaurants, and a giant Ferris Wheel.

5. GET A FOOT MASSAGE

Foot massages in Bangkok are to die for. Every block has at least one massage studio. These foot massages last for an hour, and the masseuse does a wonderful job of pampering your feet. I literally fell asleep while getting the massage. So, after a long day of exploring the city, end the day with a lovely foot massage that gets you relaxed and ready to party at night.

I hope my article inspired you to plan a trip to Bangkok. If you’re thinking of visiting the Southeast Asian country, let me tell you one last thing – you will find the world’s nicest people. They are extremely courteous and respectful, and no one tries to hoodwink the tourists. People are helpful, and more importantly honest. This country really made me realize how individuals should treat one another.