Track by Track Review of the New Positions Tracks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

On February 19, Ariana Grande fans were gifted with Positions (Deluxe). The deluxe version of Positions includes five new tracks. Fans were exuberant to finally getting to hear more of what Grande has worked on (including me hehe). Here is a track by track review of the five tracks. 

someone like u-interlude

Grande did the right thing by making this song the interlude. You see, the last song on Positions is “pov.” In this song, Grande pours out her heart and soul in this powerful ballad for her man, and she expresses how much he means to her. So, with “someone like u-interlude” coming after “pov,” it is just perfect! After voicing her deepest emotionsl to her man, she tells him, “It’s you. You’re the one I have been waiting for. I’ve been waiting for someone like you.”

test drive

This song has an upbeat sound-it definitely makes you want to get up and bust a move (maybe you could create a Tik Tok dance to it ?). In this song, Grande uses a car to draw a metaphor that likens how she feels about her lover. When you buy a car, you tend to give it a test drive to see if the car you have an eye on is the one. In the chorus of “test drive,” Grande sings, “No, I don’t feel the need to test drive nothin’, test drive nothin’ / Baby, I’m sold on you, so I don’t ever gotta / Test drive nothin’ (Oh), test drive nothin’ (My baby).” She basically states that she doesn’t have to do much to know that her lover is the one; she doesn’t need to give her lover a test drive.

34+35 Remix

The 34+35 Remix, which features Doja Cat & Megan Thee Stallion, was released as a single off of the deluxe. The original drop was supposed to be a feature with Doja Cat, but Doja Cat ended up being featured on “motive.” So, it is nice that Doja Cat was included in the remix, especially since the verse she had already laid out was included. When “34+35” dropped, a lot of people voiced that if there were to ever be a remix, Megan Thee Stallion should be on it. “34+35” is about sex, and Megan raps about sex a lot, so it is very fitting that Megan got to be another feature on the remix. Doja Cat and Megan’s verses on the remix really brought the original song up a notch-the music video to the remix even outsold the music video for the original song.

worst behavior

The fourth new track released in Positions (Deluxe), “worst behavior,” is my favorite. It has such a jazzy and R&B feel to it. It kind of reminds me of one of my top 3 favorite songs in the original Positions drop, “my hair.” In “worst behavior,” Grande sets the rules in her relationship. The sum of these rules is that her relationship with her lover is to be kept on the down low. She makes it really clear when she sings, “No phone, no pics, no postin’ us (Postin’ us) / This love just ain’t disposable (Oh, babe).”

main thing

The fifth new track released in Positions (Deluxe), “main thing,” is a bit more romantic than the other songs. Grande, again, pours out her feelings for her lover. Ariana perfectly closes out Positions and Positions (Deluxe) with romantically themed songs, “pov” and “main thing”, respectively. The dreamy tone found in “main thing,” is similar to the one in “R.E.M.” from Grande’s fourth album, Sweetener.

Hello reader! I am Carmilia Moise, and I am a second-year student at Adelphi University. I am majoring in Nursing. My favorite things to do are sing, act, dance, listen to music, and watch films and TV shows. I’m so excited to share my thoughts and likings through my article contributions to Her Campus!