lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

It’s happening again…

“I should’ve known, they’re in a bad mood I probably should’ve kept quiet and not said anything”.

These are usually thoughts that you get when you’re in a toxic relationship, whether its a friendship or with your significant other. Being in one is NOT your fault. It doesn’t just affect one type of person but many types of people.

Scapegoating

Let’s say your partner is having a bad day and they are in need of a little extra support from you, however, you’ve been busy with either work or something. Instead of letting you know something is going on, they lash out angrily. They probably know you didn’t cause their bad they but you should’ve known, stopped what you were doing, just to cheer them up. Somehow they blame for you for their lousy day though.

Giving up your Happiness

Being in a relationship/friendship should not mean you give up what makes you happy for the other person completely. There should be compromises and discussion. If you’re constantly trying to make them happy but not getting anything in return then you’re just there to satisfy them. Happiness should be a two-way street and shared by every member of the relationship. Honestly, you should be happy just as much as the other person and not a feeling of numbness or losing who you are. No one has control over what life will throw at you but your person should at least give you a sense of stability because if they can’t be there for you, then is it really worth it to be in the relationship?

Your Presence Annoys Them

Sometimes it even feels like you need to walk on eggshells around your partner for them to not blow up on you. At that point, know, you are not the problem of the relationship. Until the other person is ready to be honest with themselves to why they are frustrated, nothing you do will satisfy them.

The Scoreboard

Oh, your partner did something to get you a bit ticked off and you wanted to talk about it? Don’t even try mentioning it because if you do they will bring up everything you’ve ever done wrong in the past and make you feel guilty for even trying to talk about it.Toxic relationships are no fun, they can be draining to every party involved.

If you ever find yourself in this type of relationship, just remember there are people around you to support you. It’s not your fault and you should not settle for anything that doesn’t make you happy. If you don’t know how to approach the situation, reach out to friends or family. It’s always good to get another pair of eyes to look at what’s going on because they may see things that you don’t.

Hello! My name is Shanisha! I am a Junior Nursing Major and part of the Levermore Global Scholars Program at Adelphi University. On campus, you will most likely find me in the Underground Cafe with my friends or at the Alice Brown Early Learning Center. These are my two favorite spots! I hope you are able to relate to the articles I write! Enjoy your day!! :)