katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips and Tricks for Saving and Earning Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Hello again ladies! Money a little tight lately? Are you going through your allowance too fast? Well, I think that’s a struggle we can all relate too at one time or another. It’s college! We’re on our own with our own budget; for some of us its the first time we’ve even had this much freedom with money! It’s easy to go a little crazy. However, we always need to be practical and make sure we have what we need, so here are some tips and tricks to saving, and maybe even earning, a few bucks. 

1. Eat on Campus

I know. Obvious. And yes, painful. Unless C-store is open, there’s very little we like to eat on campus and after awhile you can get sick of it! However, you have already paid for that wonderful little meal plan of yours. Do not go out and eat all the time! That’s spending unnecessary money. You’ve technically already paid for your meals. Use it. Maybe make a rule that once a week you get to order something or go out to eat. Also if you decide to eat out, don’t go to that nice restaurant that you love all the time. I know it’s tempting, but there are plenty of options that are delicious and cheap! 

2. Share

A dangerous word, I know. However, we all went to kindergarten, so I’m assuming we can all successfully share to some extent! This is a great way to save money. Most of the meals you order are way too big for you to eat anyway, so you might as well split the price as well as the serving! The same goes for other things. Taking a taxi? Shove as many people in as you can! The more people, the less each one has to pay. Plus, it’s great friend bonding to share!

3. On Campus Jobs

Don’t have a car? Thats no problem! There are many opportunities on campus to make money, work study or no work study. For example, ushering in the PAC or working at the CRS. You can even work in the UC or at Post if you really wanted to. Peer tutoring is a great option, as well as being a notetaker for one of your classes. There are so many ways to make money on campus and its a great way to get involved and meet new people!

4. Plan Ahead and Weigh Your Options

It’s really easy to get caught up in having money and being able to go places and have fun, but you don’t want to be caught with your pockets empty when you really need things. It’s smart to think ahead and maybe save a little. You can still have fun and do the things that you want, just don’t go crazy. If you know it’s your friends birthday soon and you need to get them a present, maybe skip the bar this weekend. Trust me, the world will not end if you miss one weekend! This is probably the most important tip that I can give. You need to think of which means more to you, going to the bar this weekend, or getting that scarf that you really want. Unfortunately, we can not have it all. You need to figure out which is more important to you and then save accordingly. 

These were just a few little tips and tricks to keep your wallet nice and happy, as well as you! Some of them are easier said than done, and you may miss out on a few things, but it’s not the end of the world! Everyone is pretty much in the same boat and they may regret not doing what you’re doing! Stay smart ladies!