#TinyButMighty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Name: Gabriela Bernabe

Year: sophomore

Major/minor: psychology

Career goals: I want to pursue a career in clinical psychology. I want to specify in child psychology and help children express their emotions and deal with any form of anxiety they may have. I want children to be able to trust me with their problems and feel safe when speaking to me.

Netflix Binge: I am not one to simply start watching a show, I have to be persuaded into watching a show. All the shows I currently watch now are because either my sister or my friends have forced me to watch them. Some of these shows include: The Walking Dead, Once Upon A Time, and 13 Reasons Why.

Favorite pick me up movie: Any Disney movie can be considered a pick me up movie for me. Some of my favorite Disney movies include Hercules, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, and Meet the Robinsons.

Favorite Song atm: I mostly listen to rock music. On occasion, I will listen to pop but very rarely. I have a wide variety of bands that I listen to from soft rock to heavy metal. Right now, the song that I listen to the most is This is Gospel by Panic! At the Disco.

Favorite book: Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. It read this book back in middle school and it opened my eyes when it came to teenage relationships and depression found in teenagers.

Hobbies/Passions: I recently started doing yoga and I fell in love with it. At first, I only started going because it was part of my therapy to help me relax. Eventually I noticed the impact it had on my well-being and started to love it.

Defining life experience: Joining the army right after high school really changed me. It allowed me to become more independent and eventually I matured. I always had my mom at home and she did everything for me. I never washed a dish in my life nor did my own laundry up until I joined the army and my mom was no longer there to help me. The whole experience changed me as a person and it made me value what I have back home.

What are you most proud of yourself for: When I left for Basic Combat Training, I was 1 of 60 girls who were there. Amongst all those girls, I was the shortest one. I was always picked on for my height and I was seen as the “weakest link”, not only because I was short but because I was a girl. Throughout the training I was always told that I did not belong there and that the army was only for men. My drill sergeant noticed how much I got picked on and decided to single me out. She made me carry two rifles rather than one and made me carry more weight on my back. She also made me lead all the ruck marches and put pressure on me by telling me that I had to set the pace for everyone who was following behind me. I used all of the hurtful comments I received to fuel my anger. Eventually, I graduated top of my class in rifle marksmanship and had one of the higher physical training scores for both males and females.

Dream Vacation spot: Some of the places I would want to travel to are Greece, India and Spain.

Favorite adelphi spot: Underground Cafe

Interesting fact/adelphi story: I did Fear Factor Live in Florida for the first time this past summer and was the only girl who made it to the finals. I came in second place when I originally started out competing against all guys.

I am currently studying at Adelphi University. I am an International Studies major and a senior. My passions are traveling, languages, reading and wine, so drink up while you're reading my articles (21 and over of course).