This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Graduation is exciting – announcements are mailed, caps and gowns and collected, and senior portraits are taken. We all gather together for a night to remember, one where all the seniors let loose on the dance floor, make final college memories with their friends, and whine about their upcoming exams. We come closer to a time when life is about to start all over again.

We prepare ourselves to walk across that stage with confidence and pride, and regurgitate the same scripted answer to everyone who asks us, “So what are your plans after college?”

The summer after graduating will be a summer so different from any other summer of our lives. We won’t have college to fall back on, no plans are set in stone. We’re going to look up every possible job in our field, and see how most of them require at least “X” years of experience. Our freshly chiseled minds with drive and motivation will keep us going. We’ll consider that job at 1 OAK, bartending possible celebrities on special nights, while we wait for our dream job to approach us.

A month and a half goes by, and we realize that we haven’t progressed yet. We’re still in our parent’s house, doing things we normally did freshman year of college. Reality hits us.

The diploma is a piece of art; something that we worked so hard towards for four solid years.

Thinking of that hard work and passion we have for what we love, we will keep going. The first job is always the hardest, but once we land that we’ll have a smooth sailing.

Therefore, I think the summer after graduation is a summer with abundant opportunities to search for our calling. It may or may not be in our major or minor fields of study, yet something is out there for everyone in the class of 2018. We have great gifts to offer, and it is up to the world to unwrap them.