This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Studying abroad has always been an exciting addition to the college experience. With opportunities to spend a semester in almost any place in the world, students have almost unlimited options to choose from. In light of the recent attacks in Paris committed by terrorist organization ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, otherwise known as ISIS or Daesh) however, students and universities alike have begun to question whether these options should be limited.

On Friday, November 13th at 5pm Eastern Standard time, the Jihadist extremist group executed several planned attacks on civilians in largely populated areas of the city, ranging from the Stade de France national stadium, to the Bataclan theatre, to several restaurants throughout the area. 130 civilians were killed, 89 of which were attending an American rock concert at the Bataclan. One American student, 23 year old Nohemi Gonzalez, a junior at California State university, was killed in the attacks.

News of these attacks has prompted students, parents, and university advisors to begin reevaluating the safety of study abroad programs. Syracuse University has pulled its programs for evaluation, and some programs may be changed or cancelled entirely. Adelphi’s Director of International Education, Shannon Harrison, frantically scrambled to be sure every Adelphi student in Paris was safe at the time of the attacks. Parents have mixed reviews on the issue, but most have come to a general consensus: they are apprehensive to send their children to potential areas of conflict, but they don’t want them to miss out on the memories they could create during those semesters abroad.

Most students and university counselors are in agreement: the chances of being involved in an attack of any kind are very slim, and you can’t let “what ifs” dictate your life. That being said, students need to keep in mind their own safety and plan accordingly. University programs are recommending that international students plan their trips and itineraries with safety in mind, and avoid areas of high conflict in the world. It is recommended that while abroad, students be extremely vigilant of their surroundings and to plan accordingly in case of emergency.

Hi, I'm Alexis! I'm a senior Communications major with a journalism concentration, and I'm an editor and campus co-coordinator for our Adelphi chapter of Her Campus! After graduating, I hope to write for news organizations that cover important social and humanitarian issues in our political sphere and in the global community. Other than writing, I enjoy reading, napping, and sightseeing. One fun fact about me is that I'm left-handed, which means I'm more likely to become President! I mainly write political content relating to the most current issues facing our country and the world.