This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Can you believe it? One minute you’re riding on your bicycle eating a popsicle with no worries in the world, and then the next thing you know you have all of these responsibilities.

Getting up to go to work for a reasonable hour

Can I sleep for a whole week? Why can’t hours for work be more reasonable to sleep? I would much rather have an 8am to 8pm job rather than a 7am to 7pm. That extra hour determines whether or not I can remember my own name. No one told me adulting means I have to do everything by myself. There isn’t enough hours in a day to do everything I need to do. Let’s make it official and have 36 hours in a day so I can sleep and do things.

Doing your laundry

This would be a good time to thank my mother for spoiling me and doing my laundry since I was a baby. Doing laundry is so annoying, I would much rather just pick up a piece of clothing and smell it to see if its wearable. Until the pile is up to my neck I don’t even wanna touch it. But I want clean clothes too. :(

When your bills just keep piling up.

Why is everything so expensive? It’s like the second I make money, it disappears because I have to pay my bills. I think I’m going to stay broke forever unless money starts magically showing up in my bank account. 

When you have to figure out how to make friends in the “real world.”

That awkward moment when your friends from college start to get a job and have a life of their own, including kids and marriage. Who am I supposed to hang out with? Making friends is just too much work and so hard because of the busy lives everyone lives.

When you feel good about your finances until you remember your student loans are a real thing.

Remind me why I have a degree and in debt at the same time? Oh yeah, it’s because I wanted to do something with it. It sucks knowing that even though I’m also working, the money isn’t even going to me but to the cursed loans. 

When all you want to do is just binge-watch Netflix.

I would like to suggest we have a national Netflix Day where adults are allowed to put responsibilities aside for a while to watch Netflix. 

When you have to make important decisions.

Whenever I have to make a decision I  think to myself: What would my mother do? Maybe I should call her and have her decide for me. However, when I do, she just laughs.

When you have to figure out how to cook meals for yourself.

Nothing like a good home cooked meal right? Well, instant ramen noodles counts as cooking right? I mean it is pretty hard to not overcook the noodles!

When you have to figure out what health insurance is. And how to get it?

Can someone explain to me why this is so confusing to do? Or why I can’t just stay on my parents plan?

When you spend most of your paycheck but still have a week before next payday.

Why do we work so hard but get paid so little? I feel like the more I work, the less money I have.

When you realize that you have no idea what you’re doing, ever.

Uhh…thank you, next?

Being an adult is so much work. I want to go back to the younger days where I didn’t have bills or responsibilities, and my mother did my laundry. No matter how much we struggle it’s okay to not have everything figured out. It’s all part of the learning process.

Hello! My name is Shanisha! I am a Junior Nursing Major and part of the Levermore Global Scholars Program at Adelphi University. On campus, you will most likely find me in the Underground Cafe with my friends or at the Alice Brown Early Learning Center. These are my two favorite spots! I hope you are able to relate to the articles I write! Enjoy your day!! :)