The Struggle of Being an International Studies Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

You probably haven’t even heard of my major. Most people haven’t. I am actually an international studies major with a concentration in French and I’m on the business track. What a mouthful, right? Who wants to say that every time someone asks them what their major it. Not me. 

In order to get past this mouthful, I end up just saying international business, which works out perfectly if I’m talking to someone from a different school. There is no international business major at this school, so I can’t get away with saying that to anyone that actually goes here. 

The other option is to just say international studies AND that is always accompanied with a “what are you going to do with that?” Not that I know for certain what I will do with it, but that’s not a common question when everyone else says his or her major. I don’t want to go into my entire life plan with someone I just met who is probably just asking the question to fill the awkward silence or just start a conversation.

There are so few people with my major that I have a list of everyone with it. A list that doesn’t even take up an entire page. NOT EVEN ONE PAGE. We would fill a small classroom, and there will probably still be a few seats left over.

These are my struggles as an international studies major. I’m sure every major has their own struggles and they’re all different and annoying in their own way. 

I am currently studying at Adelphi University. I am an International Studies major and a senior. My passions are traveling, languages, reading and wine, so drink up while you're reading my articles (21 and over of course).     
Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/