This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

It’s that time of the long-anticipated 21st birthday! Everyone would think you’d be getting wasted at a club somewhere, but not me. For my 21st I’m trying to do things to stay as sober as possible.

1. Have a Mocktail Party

Instead of alcoholic beverage, substitute it for fruity non-alcoholic beverages. You don’t always need to drink to have fun. Atleast this way you can remember your birthday and not wake up with a massive hangover.

2. Go on a Road Trip

If there is somewhere you’ve always wanted to see but never had a reason to go, now is the time! Your birthday is a good reason to go and explore the country/state. It’s okay to play tourist in your homeland.

3. Boat ride around NYC

Ever seen the lights of Manhattan? Taking a boat ride with a group of friends is a relaxing way to see the different parts of the city and maybe even get in an Instagram worthy picture!

4. Eat Cake

I don’t know about you but going to a tea place and eating cake sounds so sophisticated like I’m having lunch with the Queen of England.

5. Hot Air Balloon Rides

Nothing else will give you the high of a hot air balloon!

6. Sky Diving

Ready to be adventurous? Try jumping out of a plane. The rush of adrenaline will give you an exhilarating experience.

We don’t need to settle for the social norms and drink on our 21st. It’s your birthday, so you choose how you want to spend it!

Hello! My name is Shanisha! I am a Junior Nursing Major and part of the Levermore Global Scholars Program at Adelphi University. On campus, you will most likely find me in the Underground Cafe with my friends or at the Alice Brown Early Learning Center. These are my two favorite spots! I hope you are able to relate to the articles I write! Enjoy your day!! :)