So I Moved Into an Apartment This Semester And…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

I moved into an apartment this semester after being a resident for two and a half years, and let me tell you, the first day back on campus was rough. Scratch that— make that the first week.

Every morning I take the bus because I can’t afford a car at the moment and I’m not blaming the DMV or anything, but my license never came in the mail, SO I’M BLAMING THE DMV. So until I go purchase— yes purchase the license I never received, I can’t exactly drive anyways.

The first day commuting was pretty scary, but it was okay— until I got to campus. After I left a meeting, it all of a sudden hit me that I was a commuter and I kept thinking, “what the HECK do commuters do when they have gaps??” It was so strange. I kept thinking that I could go back to my room and crank the heat and take a nap, but I couldn’t. I found myself trying to figure out which building I should go to just to get warm.

Then there was the issue of not having things. I used to be able to go back to my room if I needed Tylenol, now I can’t. If I don’t bring it, I have to hope and pray that one of my resident friends has some. If I forget clothes at home? Forget it. I’m screwed. If I’m not dressed right for the weather? It’s okay, I’ll just casually suffer throughout the day since I can’t go to my room and change anymore!! If I forget my charger and I don’t have change? I guess I’m not taking the bus. This literally happened, might I add. I ended up crying on campus because my phone died on the way to my bus stop. I had to take the last shuttle back to Adelphi just to charge my phone and I texted one of my sisters who helped me get home in an Uber. Thank you, Shannon.

Being a commuter isn’t all bad though, it definitely has its perks. I live alone and now I can flat iron my hair in my room. I don’t have to go downstairs to cook and, speaking of cooking, I can cook whatever I feel like having for dinner rather than having whatever is available on campus. I don’t need permission to have guests over and I can make the place completely my own.

So yeah, the first few days have been pretty rough, but I feel like moving off campus was the necessary change that I desperately needed. It’s given me a better sense of what it’s like to be an adult and to be independent. It gave me more responsibilities and is helping me to learn accountability. It’s also helped me to be a little more resourceful. Yeah, I was miserable about it at first, but I’m definitely looking forward to all the changes to come.

Hi, I'm Alliah! I'm currently Senior Social Work major at Adelphi University. 9/10 times you'll catch me with a good book and some coffee or tea, watching Netflix, or on Pinterest planning out the rest of my life.