Shopping and Donating… At the Same Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Do you like to go shopping? Do you like to give back? Well look no further! There are a bunch of websites to shop from that donate some of their profits to nonprofit organizations.

1. Ivory Ella

Elephants are being poached every day. Over the past 3 years, hundreds of thousands of elephants were killed by poachers alone. Poaching not only kills off elephants, but is also a cause of suffering for those that live. These animals tend to grieve just like us and bury their dead. The pain we suffer from when a loved one dies is the same for them. Ivory Ella donates 10% of their profits to “Save the Elephants, a nonprofit organization in Kenya that monitors and secures elephant populations. Right now, the website features merchandise to support Breast Cancer. Products include drinkware, hats, accessories and clothing apparel.

2. Out of Print:

Out of Print brings your favorite childhood book to reality by allowing you to wear your favorite characters on a shirt, tote bag or an accessory. As a bookworm this is heaven.  No more are children literature just for children. They help donate books to communities in need and fund literacy programs.

3. PuraVida:

This company is partnered with over 190 charities and donates nearly one million dollars annually (1% of their profit). They make bracelets which are handcrafted in Costa Rica and prices range from $5 to $15.

4. Sevenly:

Sevenly, as the name implies donates 7% of their profits to seven different causes. T-shirts are normally $25. As of right right now Sevenly has donated $4,856,167.It’s actually pretty clever to put their name to signify how much they donate.

5. Amazon Smile:

With each purchase on AmazonSmile, .5% of what you paid will be donated to an organization of your choice. Charities include but are not limited to ASPCA, American Red Cross, Pencils of Promise, The Nature Conservancy, and Operation Smile. As of August 2017 Amazon Smile has donated $62,069,818.82.

6. BoxLunch:

At BoxLunch, every $10 you spend will help someone receive a meal through the program Feeding America. So far they have provided at least 1.6 million meals each year. They actually have really cool stuff from Harry Potter, to Gilmore Girls and even Dr. Seuss. You can find things for men, women, and even children. There’s something for everyone.

7. Free Rice:

This isn’t a shopping website but a website that can help you in school. For every question you answer correctly, the website will donate 10 grains of rice to the World Food Programme which aims to end hunger. Subjects include SAT Prep, Humanities, English (Vocabulary & Grammar), Chemistry, Mathematics, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Latin, Anatomy  and Geography. So far this year, this website has donated 1,770,030,740 grains of rice.

There are many different ways to give back. You are able to shop and donate. It’s a simple yet fun thing to do.

Hello! My name is Shanisha! I am a Junior Nursing Major and part of the Levermore Global Scholars Program at Adelphi University. On campus, you will most likely find me in the Underground Cafe with my friends or at the Alice Brown Early Learning Center. These are my two favorite spots! I hope you are able to relate to the articles I write! Enjoy your day!! :) 
Hi, I'm Alexis! I'm a senior Communications major with a journalism concentration, and I'm an editor and campus co-coordinator for our Adelphi chapter of Her Campus! After graduating, I hope to write for news organizations that cover important social and humanitarian issues in our political sphere and in the global community. Other than writing, I enjoy reading, napping, and sightseeing. One fun fact about me is that I'm left-handed, which means I'm more likely to become President! I mainly write political content relating to the most current issues facing our country and the world.