This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

You may or may not have heard of it before; “meninism.” It’s exactly what it sounds like; the male version of “feminism.” With the rise in awareness of feminism, whether it’s through celebrities, political figures, or just someone you go to school with, education on feminism has been increasing dramatically. With that, of course there is controversy. Many people have a negative opinion on feminism, especially some from the male community.  

Being a feminist myself, which I feel every woman should be in her own way, I feel that meninism has always existed. Throughout history men have always had the upper hand, and inequality has be apparent. Just because women try to take a stand to become equal, men still have to remain one step ahead.Yes, I feel that both men and women should be respected and treated as equals, but to me meninism is just another excuse and attempt to bring down women. Meninism is just a mockery of feminism, making fun of women who feel they deserve to be treated fairly. Female rights have of course dramatically increased in the past years, but many things are still shamefully unequal. Although Meninism is a satirical response to feminism, I don’t think it’s appropriate, because to me it further proves that we still have a lot of improving to do when it comes to equality of the sexes.  

Melissa is a journalism student at Adelphi University, and hopes to one day write for magazines and/various media types.