This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Has astrology ever seemed interesting to you and made you want to learn more about each zodiac sign? Cause girl, same here. I always tend to binge TikToks that have to do with astrology or my zodiac sign, wanting to learn more about the history and meaning behind them. As we depart from the water bearing Aquarius, we now enter the next zodiac on the list: Pisces.

In astrology, Pisces is the 12th zodiac sign, corresponding to the time period from February 19th to March 20th. The traits of a Pisces include being intuitive, sensitive, devoted, compassionate, inspired and forgiving. They tend to be very friendly, so they often find themselves surrounded by large groups of people. Pisces are seen to be selfless beings, always there to help others without wanting anything in return. As a water sign, Pisces are known for being the sensitive type and being very sentimental. They have a tendency of holding onto items and people past their expiration date, and their emotions are always there, flowing out of them uncontrollably. 

The story behind the Pisces constellation comes from Babylonian times. The Babylonians saw in the sky what looked like a pair of fish joined together by a cord. To the Romans, the two koi fish represented Venus (Aphrodite) and Cupid (Eros), who turned themselves into the koi fish to escape the monster Typhon. Typhon was sent by Gaia (Mother Earth) to defeat the gods. He was known to be the scariest monster the world had ever seen, having a hundred dragon heads, each with fire coming out of its eyes. In order to escape Typhon, the goddess Aphrodite and her son, Eros, jumped into the river and were saved by the water nymphs. In one version of this legend, two fish came to Aphrodite and Eros’ rescue and carried them on their backs to safety. In a different version, Aphrodite and Eros transformed themselves into the koi fish to escape Typhon.

From doing some research, I found out that the character traits of a Pisces depend on the month you were born in. If you are a February Pisces, you tend to be considered more mystical, introspective, and connected to your dreams. If you are a March Pisces, you express yourself more outwardly, you care more about the environment, and you are an intense, deep thinker.

Astrology is not just what your sun / star sign is; your Moon and Rising can be in different zodiac signs as well. If your Moon is in Pisces, then you are known to be “spaced out” and not always in touch with reality. You are a perceptive soul who seems to be in touch with all the refinement and understanding of human nature. Your dreaminess can be the result of moments of distraction. During these times of inattentiveness, it can lead them to different sorts of trouble with others who can easily misunderstand Pisces Moons. Since Pisces is the last zodiac sign, they carry a little bit of each sign. By doing so, they can see themselves reflecting in the behavior of their peers, giving them overloads of compassion. 

If your Rising is in Pisces (like me ?), you resist labeling of any kind towards your character because you do not want to be labeled as one singular thing. You want to be interchangeable, and not be pinned down in any way, shape or form. You have a restless, searching nature, where not just one thing can make you happy. You may tend to not have an organized plan for tomorrow, or even today, wanting to keep things on a more open scale. Since they change their minds very frequently, “feeling” their way through life seems a lot easier, and structure does not mix well with them since they believe it is very limiting. Pisces risings are known to walk around with their heads in the clouds and are full of imagination. Their dreaminess is very obvious since they enjoy checking out of the real world. 

Some celebrities that are Pisces are Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Millie Bobby Brown, Victoria Justice, Tyler The Creator, and Kesha (any possible birthday twins? ?). 

If you’re a Pisces, take some time to yourself. You may like to be around people a lot but don’t forget to take some you-time. Some solitude will help you to recharge your energy, and put that energy into people who reciprocate it, even if you don’t want them to. While you may have a natural tendency to take care for others, some might try to take advantage of that. Your needs are just as important as anyone else’s. You may think it can be selfish, but you are just as important. So, Pisces, get your creative juices flowing and your imagination pumping!

Hey girl hey! My name is Nicoletta and I am currently a junior majoring in Environmental Science to become an earth science teacher at Adelphi. I absolutely love watching movies and tv shows so if you ever need a recommendation... I'm your girl. I have always loved creative writing and writing in general so I cannot wait for this to be my outlet :)